Fixing really beat up spinners

F
FishSchooler
I went to tanner creek as a lot of you know, and boy did I find lots of spinners! I found 3 blue foxes and 1 mepps, and they are all rusted and the a lot of the paint has worn off. The blades dont have much shine in them and have rust, the bodies are rusted or have a really dull layer of paint, that used to be shiny and bright I think, and the hooks are all fossilized besides the mepps, which is still in pretty good condition besides the paint is gone on the blade and body. I tried to cut off the old treb hooks, that didn't work so Ill go and buy some new pliers/wire cutters because our house has a bad shortage of tools... Any not-too-expensive way to really get these spinners lookin like they were from the package minus a few spots here and there?

18406ej
18406ej
Like any other restoration job, you need to consider whether the time and elbow grease spent refurbishing the spinners is worth more than the price of a new spinner. With some steel wool, some new paint, new hooks and new pliers, the old spinners might not be worth spending the time on. You might want to consult with Troutski about the possibility of building your own spinners from scratch, which can really bring the price of a spinner down.

F
FishSchooler
Scratch? Like not having to buy blades and wires and beads from stores and just using stuff that you probably have at home?

18406ej
18406ej
No, I believe you would need to purchase the parts, but like anything else, if you buy in sufficient bulk, and do the labor/assembly by yourself, the price would be a lot less than buying a pre-made spinner.

F
FishSchooler
Yeah I know, but I can't really find them in that big of packages. At joes or something, 2 blades is like 2 bucks... More expensive than I thought... Would spray paint work for paint?

18406ej
18406ej
PM sent.

H
Hawk
Sometimes yuu kin find used fishin' tackle at a good price on ifish craigslist, yard & garage sales, etc.................................:D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
tumblin tumbleweeds....

tumblin tumbleweeds....

Well,Brother Hawk,as I live and breathe! :D Good to hear from you again. How have you been lately? Catching anything interesting? You sure have been closed-mouthed since you got that fancy new 'puter ;) . Hope things are going well for you in your neck of the woods....oops, I mean tumbleweeds :lol: Don't be a stranger, we need to hear from you more often and maybe you could even include a picture now and then...:cool:
Barb

F
FishSchooler
Well, looks like I dont need to fix up the spinners cause I fixed them up without spending a cent! Most of the rust turned out to be dirt/sand... so I just scrubbed it with toothpaste on a toothbrush. :D Then that got em shining again except a few very small scratches. I tried and tried to cut the hooks that were fossilized off, couldnt cut em off, but I accidentally pulled gently and the hook just snapped! :cool::dance:
Now I know why people say less is more... :D
Lots of pressure, dont break, little pressure sideways, snap! :D
Put a #4 siwash on a #5 spinner(the #5 hooks are just way too big... bigger than the actualy #5 spinner...) and a #3 on the #4 spinners... All good as new!

H
Hawk
Raincatcher said:
Well,Brother Hawk,as I live and breathe! :D Good to hear from you again. How have you been lately? Catching anything interesting? You sure have been closed-mouthed since you got that fancy new 'puter ;) . Hope things are going well for you in your neck of the woods....oops, I mean tumbleweeds :lol: Don't be a stranger, we need to hear from you more often and maybe you could even include a picture now and then...:cool:
Barb

Sister Barb, Thankyou fer asking...lately i've bean fishin' on the boat quite a bit, enjoying the good weather & beautiful scenery. Friday i C&R 4 bass & 3 trout......................:D

I don't have a digi camera fer pic's..................maybe i'll git one...one of these days..........................:lol::lol::lol:.........................gettin' doodads fer the boat has bean costing me $$$$$$......................:rolleyes:

hav a great evening......................

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler - Yo uneed to put trebels on those spinners to help with the salmon surviving if you have to release one...Trebs usually cannot be fully engulfed by most salmon, while he single, or siwash can be gut bombed, whcih can be detrimental to fish health, and making it difficult to land a toothy chinook if they can get their beak to contact the line, when a spinner is sucked deep. I am pretty confident that barbless trebels are less damaging to fish than a siwash. Just my $.02...

H
Hawk
I forgot to mention last week i was on the boat fishin' the shoreline at Galesville with my electric trolling motor, when a black bear came down to the waters edge....................saw me turned around, ran lickety split up the forested hill.......................:lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool:

F
FishSchooler
Yeah, I know about that treble hooks dont sink in the mouth as much, but... treble snag more... and erm... I didn't have any treble hooks that big... only siwash that came with the spinners... and I already pinched on the hooks... :(:rolleyes:

O
osmosis
Toothpaste? Yikes, I hope you lemon joy those things about 42 times..

F
FishSchooler
Toothpaste is what all the pros/guides use to clean fishing stuff, from flashers to plugs... said in one of my books, "illustrated guide for catching steelhead, salmon, and trout." by robert cambell, the manager of fisherman's marine and outdoors in gladstone. Toothpaste will eliminate bad odors and give it a fresh minty taste, it might not help but its much better than sweaty smells...

O
osmosis
you seriously think mint is a good scent for you lure? Wouldn't there be mint gel sold by pro cure, ect, if this was true?
I happen to know quite a few guides and not a single one of them would use tooth paste to clean any of their lures.. all of them use lemon joy.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Grease, & greasy substances are terrible if you plan on catching fish, and I know toothpaste has things like glycerin(also in some fryer oils), propylene glycol(also an additive in some newer syn. blend motor oils), and some form of cellulose gum. Each of those are fairly oily, or greasy, and can't imagine them helping. All of which would skunk you right off the bat I think, and at least one of them is in that toothpaste you used. I guess there is a reason nonbody manufactures mint attractants either...Lemon Joy is your best bet in the fight against the human stank, that and scotch brite, or a dish scrubber will clean any lure that has a chance of being salvaged.

F
FishSchooler
In my book (by the manager of fisherman's) says that people use toothpaste to clean stuff like flashers, plugs, and spinners.
And since when did I say it helps?! :lol::think:;)
I just said that it might or might not help.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Well, if you fish with the lures you plastered with toothpaste, let us know how it goes...I just have a feeling some of the ingredients will help to skunk you is all...I dunno,:think: hope you actually test them out though.

F
Fishtopher
I would wash them after "brushing your blades" with Lemon Joy...for sure!