Fixer upper

L
Luis Dominguez
So my father in law has had this boat in his backyard for a while now. He offered it to me for free. It looks like it’d be a nice little bass boat. It’s got a crack at the bottom that I need to fix. I know nothing about boats so can anyone tell what this boat is made from? OBVIOUSLY not aluminum lol so I’m wonder if it’s fiber glass? Just feels different than fiberglass would feel but idk. I work at a metals factory so I know about metal, not fiberglass haha

• F308CD6F-B600-4EB5-9C88-C1D36B9740C9.png
  • B71AAFBB-8819-4255-8CC0-5CBF4557A690.png
  • 48FBA0DE-1CA5-4B4C-AAD8-2763F7E76D66.jpeg
Bake
Bake
I would go to the local Auto Parts Store and buy a small sample of their cheapest epoxy repair. Clean a small spot with sandpaper, and see if it will stick. Over the years, there has been a lot of different plastics used in making these small one-man boats. Some may be repaired, and some should be chopped up & recycled.

Is there an I.D. Plate on the transom? It might list the Manufacture, and they could give you more information, on repair...

Reactions: Admin
Aervax
Aervax
I have been given free fixer upper boats in the past. They turned out to be more costly in the long run than the boats I paid for up front. Nonetheless, every fisherman should get to have that learning experience at least one time. Unfortunately for me, it took 2 times before I learned the lesson well enough for it to stick. ?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
It looks like a spray in/chopped style fiberglass for the hull, and maybe some minor wood work for the seat tops.

You should also be able to get fiberglass weave at your local hardware store, as well as several different types of epoxies. Like @Bake said, I would start with a small section and see how it holds. The very first thing I would do though, if you have one available to you, is power wash the boat inside and out. Try and get as much of the grime and build up OFF. This will also show you how the glass has held up. If the power washer blows holes through the boat, using a lighter tip, then the boat isn't worth saving.

If the hull holds up, then you should be good to go. Check the boat very closely for a any surface cracking. Some of the cracks can be easily repaired with a gel coat filler. If there are actual holes, or cracks that go clean through, then you will need to cut out the bad material and patch the hole with a fiberglass weave .

Reactions: Aervax
Bake
Bake
Aervax said:
I have been given free fixer upper boats in the past. They turned out to be more costly in the long run than the boats I paid for up front. Nonetheless, every fisherman should get to have that learning experience at least one time. Unfortunately for me, it took 2 times before I learned the lesson well enough for it to stick. ?

A-Men!!!, and don't forget O.B. motors, and remember most things are worth what you pay for them...

Last edited:
Reactions: Markk