Fishing Yamhill River

O
Outdoor_Myers
Is there good fishing in the Yamhill River?

B
beaverfan
It clearly states in the regs that any soft plastic lure is considered bait. The reason behind it is that fish take bait and soft plastics down a lot further. It happens with other lures too but not nearly as often. It is in place to protect native smolts that reside in the river during the bait closure.

O
Outdoor_Myers
so like 60% of my lures can't be used on the yamhill or any place that says artificial lures only? grrrrrr very grrrrrrr why do they even allow fishing at some places in oregon it takes the fun right out of it! a crappie jig or a small 2-3 inch soft plastic lure isn't going to be swallowed if you are fishing it correctly. who do they have running odfw a bunch of monkeys?! guess I will have to fish the north yamhill and the main river and not even touch the south.

troutdude
troutdude
Beaverfan is correct.

Look on Pg. 7 in the 2010 regs, under "Definitions" for the word Bait (middle of the page).

Under ODFW definition, it is ILLEGAL to use bait in/on certain waters where it states, "artificial flies and lures only". And, they consider "bait" to INLCUDE "imitation baits".

Personally I agree with you, it is a dumb ass rule. But, then I have yet to meet anyone intelligent at ODFW.