Fishing Yamhill River

O
Outdoor_Myers
Is there good fishing in the Yamhill River?

A
Anyfishisfine
I saw where you are moving to Mac in a week or so. I think that stretch of the Yamhill might get you into some warm water fish, probably a lot like you are used to. But, you will be in a good spot to hit a few other prime spots.

15 minutes away in Newburg you can hit the Willamette for all kinds of fish, from bass to steelhead. You are fairly close to Hagg lake, which is prime SM Bass water, and a reasonable distance from coastal rivers which offer all kinds of salmon ans steelhead opportunities. Keep driving an hour or so and you are at the ocean and all it offers.

I may be biased, but I think you are headed to fishing nirvana. You will like it here a lot.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Anyfishisfine said:
I saw where you are moving to Mac in a week or so. I think that stretch of the Yamhill might get you into some warm water fish, probably a lot like you are used to. But, you will be in a good spot to hit a few other prime spots.

15 minutes away in Newburg you can hit the Willamette for all kinds of fish, from bass to steelhead. You are fairly close to Hagg lake, which is prime SM Bass water, and a reasonable distance from coastal rivers which offer all kinds of salmon ans steelhead opportunities. Keep driving an hour or so and you are at the ocean and all it offers.

I may be biased, but I think you are headed to fishing nirvana. You will like it here a lot.

Thank you so much sir, I hope I do, but I'll have to find a job or at least drop off some resumes and apps before I can try fishing or the GF might get upset! lol

O
Outdoor_Myers
Been checking out google earth, and it seems like very very small access on the Yamhill river, I'm thinking of just a one day fishing first couple weeks I'm there, but would love to try and catch a salmon or something other than what I can catch here.

O
Outdoor_Myers
So can you not fish the Yamhill for warmwater fish after october 31st? till march? thats what I'm gathering from regulations...im so confused

A
Anyfishisfine
It looks that way. I'd give the ODFW rep for that area a call:

Todd Alsbury
971-673-6011

D
dragon67
I am pretty sure that you can fish warm water all year long, now it you can catch any fish or not during the winter time is anyother question. I have fished the mouth of the river in Nov.

S
solution7
Outdoor_Myers said:
Is there good fishing in the Yamhill River?

there are salmon in there right now! Go see for yourself.. I had to see it to believe it...

O
Outdoor_Myers
solution7 said:
there are salmon in there right now! Go see for yourself.. I had to see it to believe it...

I cants :( I'll take your word for it :) lol I got a new water proof coat though, just need salmon and steelhead gear

C
chris61182
Outdoor_Myers said:
So can you not fish the Yamhill for warmwater fish after october 31st? till march? thats what I'm gathering from regulations...im so confused

Correct, though the Willamette and most lakes stay open.

B
bigsteel
looks like odfw will start stocking trout in the south fork of the yamhill

troutdude
troutdude
They actually started stocking it last year. I didn't get a chance to go, but hope to do so this year.

Hope you can go and check it out.

B
browntrouthunter
How do you access this part of the river? Can you get their from the bank or is it boat only?

troutdude
troutdude
browntrouthunter said:
How do you access this part of the river? Can you get their from the bank or is it boat only?

I'll have to defer to others that know it better; although I suspect it's gonna be hard to find non-brushy bank spots. So, a boat or raft may be the best approach.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Duh,wha...?

Duh,wha...?

:redface: sooo embarrassing
"They" don't let me out very often and when I do escape,I don't get to go too far from home. ;) :lol: Please explain the south fork's location. I can't seem to find the term on the map.
Thanks,y'all.

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
:redface: sooo embarrassing
"They" don't let me out very often and when I do escape,I don't get to go too far from home. ;) :lol: Please explain the south fork's location. I can't seem to find the term on the map.
Thanks,y'all.

Hey Rain,

I'm not an expert on this system...but, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the South Fork Yamhill's headwaters start up around Grand Ronde. Then, it flows over to and through the Willamina and Sheridan area. Then, I think it travels north of Whiteson (which is north of Amity). From there, I think it goes north through the east side of McMinnville. Then into Lafayette, and winding up joining the Willy near Dayton.

I sure hope that I got all of this correct. BTW, reg's say it's open for trout from May 22 - Oct. 31. Adipose fin-clipped trout ONLY. And, NO BAIT--only artificial flies and lures. (Do you know that something like a pink plastic power worm is considered bait and is illegal on this type of water...even though we may think that it is "artificial")?

Good luck.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks Dude!

Thanks Dude!

troutdude said:
Hey Rain,

I'm not an expert on this system...but, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the South Fork Yamhill's headwaters start up around Grand Ronde. Then, it flows over to and through the Willamina and Sheridan area. Then, I think it travels north of Whiteson (which is north of Amity). From there, I think it goes north through the east side of McMinnville. Then into Lafayette, and winding up joining the Willy near Dayton.

I sure hope that I got all of this correct. BTW, reg's say it's open for trout from May 22 - Oct. 31. Adipose fin-clipped trout ONLY. And, NO BAIT--only artificial flies and lures. (Do you know that something like a pink plastic power worm is considered bait and is illegal on this type of water...even though we may think that it is "artificial")?

Good luck.

G'morning Troutdude. Thanks for the explanation. I thought that it started somewhere around Grand Ronde,but wasn't sure. If that is the case,Autofisher & I found several places to fish from the bank a couple years ago. Key words...couple years. Those nice spots may not be so nice anymore.
Yeah,I know the artificial vs bait thing,I guess the pink worms look too much like the real thing to the fish and wouldn't be fair...:D Still,it is good to have another body of water fairly close to home to check out.
Thanks again.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

And yes, it's always fun to have another place to dunk a line!

O
Outdoor_Myers
how do you know auger tails are not considered artificial baits? that makes no sense or grub tails whatever you want to call them. I would love for an ODFW person tell me those are not allowed as artificial baits and then take them through the process of creating one! I need to find out where people get the information what is "bait, and what isn't" if you are using anything to catch a fish its a bait! you are trying to Bait the fish to bite your hook!