Fishing Vest

Fishing Vest

• Total voters
M
Mike123
Simple poll... do you wear a fishing vest while steelheading or salmon fishing?

Me I don't. I can't stand them. Get in the way and bug me. I usually just have my backpack full of whatever I need for any occasion.

F
Fishtopher
When steelhead and salmon fishing only!

B
Bohemian
Good timing...

Good timing...

Today I was actually considering buying one, but wasn't sure if I would use it. Guess I will wait and see what the poll reveals.:think:

D
drifter
Fishtopher said:
When steelhead and salmon fishing only!

hell yeah.. the only time you need one!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I try..

I try..

Since I do not swim,I try really hard to wear one when I am in or on the water. If I am in my waders,the vest goes on,same on the boat. It doesn't always stay on the entire time. Shame on me.

T
TTFishon
If I was more organized and had a better memory a fishing vest would be great. I remember getting frustrated checking my pockets by process of elimination trying to locate what ever item I was looking for.

B
bluefoxfan
I always wear one. I change spinners real often, and I hike the river a mile or two, so I carry water and snacks.

J
JeannaJigs
I had one last year, but there were too many pockets and it drove me crazy! I carry a very light arsenal for steelhead during the summer, so I take a very small (smaller than a lot of women's purses) bag with jigs, floats, a few spinners, and splitshot. That's it, and pliers I suppose. Winter fishing is a whole 'nother story, in which case I could live out of the backpack I carry with me, and a fishing vest would just wind up in the bottom of the backpack because there's just too much crap to carry in a vest lol.

C
chris61182
No vest here, but I wouldn't say they bug me. My backpack just works much better; it lets me carry a larger selection of lures, which I either never use or don't have the ones I want with anyways :confused:, and I'll usually also carry a 2-liter of water and a snack.

M
Mike123
chris61182 said:
No vest here, but I wouldn't say they bug me. My backpack just works much better; it lets me carry a larger selection of lures, which I either never use or don't have the ones I want with anyways :confused:, and I'll usually also carry a 2-liter of water and a snack.

That's the way I am.. I carry so much stuff I like to be able to take it off at the river. If I had it all in a vest it would be too much to carry all the time.
I guess I do wear one fly fishing. But I pack superrr lighttt for fly fishing trout.

Y
youngbuck307
.... thought about getting a back pack for food and lil cooler for bait.... i only take mine for salmon/steelhead. but normaly just use it to pack stuff from hole to hole then set it down when i fish

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Such a Grannie

Such a Grannie

:redface: I'm so embarrassed. :doh: I even had my glasses on,and still thought you meant pfd...I'm going away now..to see if I can find my vest. Such a grannie sometimes..:wall: :redface:

18406ej
18406ej
Raincatcher, there is nothing to be embarassed about. I have a Stearns PFD with a number of pockets that I use as a fishing vest. I figure with my luck a PFD might come in handy.

A
autofisher
Over the years, I've gone through more little tackle boxes and more vests in the attempt to lighten the load down to the water. The only problem for me, is that I usually change my mind of what I want to use so often that a vest just isn't a viable option. Now I stick to a smaller tackle box with a lot of the stuff that I think I'm going to need.

F
fishnquest
No. I take a small backpack. I'm gone for most of the day when I go. A backpack just works better for me. I can take lunch and water along with the gear.

T
THE JEFF
I almost always wear my vest,I can't imagine wadeing out, looseing my rig, wadeing back tieing up ,wadeing out, repete. Too much time not fishing. I have had the same cheap vest I got at Kmart when I first started steelhead fishing years ago. Its stained, ripped, sewn up and thread bare, But I can't seem to give it up Ive bought two or three others but always go back to my old one. I just can't fish without it.

C
catphish
both

both

I often wear mine to the river and take it OFF, unless I am wading out. If Im wading, I keep all my mis close. I hate wading in/out to re-tie. Sometimes I have both vest and backpack for long days.

Troutski
Troutski
Pro-Vest...

Pro-Vest...

Me - I do ware one while Steelhead angling, over the years I have learned not to take to much extra gear. Once you get use to the vest and keep the same stuff in the same pockets you can pick the right pocket and get the perfect lure far before first light;)
I don't think I could manage with out mine...Mine is quite seasoned and has taken on its own life from time to time:D I guess it is a collectors item know, I got it at GI Joes over twenty years ago.

Chuck

S
steelhead_stalkers
My vest weighs so much its crazy, half the time I take it off! I have been using this cool fishing backpack and it has a front pack too. It holds lots of stuff and even a water bladder!

O
osmosis
I use a backpack. With a small piece of cord you can tether your fish to you and when your hiking along it doesn't get in the way when you see some fish to take some casts at.