Fishing Tualatin River (Rood Bridge Park)

C
cookshot
I was looking around for places to fish the Tualatin close to where I'm staying and ended up at Rood Park outside Hillsboro. It started pouring about three minutes in, so I didn't get to fish much but has anyone been there? It seemed a little seedy down under the bridge. Wondering if anyone had any info on the area or the fishing.

C
chris61182
I used to fish there a bunch, and if you search the archives there should be a few reports, but this year things have seemed much less desirable down there than even just a year ago.

Long story short it's a tough area to fish, but I've caught plenty of bass, pikeminnow, and perch from the few access points there are. You've already seen the boat launch and under the bridge, if you follow the trail that goes down stream you can fish rock creek around the small bridge which crosses it. If you cross that bridge you quickly come back to the Tualatin where the sewage plant dumps into it, it looks nasty but they say it's clean, and I've caught plenty of fish from there.

The river up here is supposed to be closed to bait but outside of myself every angler I've encountered is using worms. I won't condone it, but I won't condemn it either as there's no shortage of warm-water invasives to be taken in this stretch with it.

C
cookshot
I originally went there to see if I could get a 12 ft wooden boat in, but the boat ramp looks more suitable for a small aluminum or kayak, so i might try my inflatable kayak tomorrow if weather permits. I'm not a worm guy unless I've struck out a couple times at a spot. Thanks for the info, any more will be greatly appreciated!

98nismo
I tried there today at every place mentioned above. The place seemed dead too, only saw one small fish jump. The rock creek spot looks the best to me with the fast moving water and the little pools it makes for the fish to rest. And down where they pump water in it smells funny haha good luck.

C
cookshot
Yeah thanks, hitting the pudding up today but if the weather is OK I might put my inflatable in the Tualatin sometime next week. Fishing is probably pretty tough right now after that big storm, well see!

C
ChezJfrey
cookshot said:
Fishing is probably pretty tough right now after that big storm, well see!

You aren't kidding! Though I wasn't at the Tualatin, I got shut out this morning in what is normally a money spot for me. I threw an aresenal of stuff with brighter colors, clicking stuff...everything I could think of and not one strike. I did see a few decent bass hit the surface, but nothing of mine could attract.

Good luck!

C
cookshot
I did really well today on the Pudding, into the 40's with me and my buddy. So I guess the pudding river bass don't mind a little storm.

C
c_chickens
man my buddy and i hit the tualatin on sunday and killed them we caught 80+! all on senkos and double tails!(all weight-less) watermelon an grn pumpkin! we put in at cook park! caught r largies above the park only 5! lots of fish in that river! nothing huge biggest being 2.3lbs smallie! most of the time we float it no 1 else is fishn it! mayb 2 people!

C
cookshot
Wow, sounds like a good time. Whats the river like there? Lots of cover? Deep, shallow, wide, narrow? I might give it a shot tomorrow.

D
dangerranger
cookshot said:
Wow, sounds like a good time. Whats the river like there? Lots of cover? Deep, shallow, wide, narrow? I might give it a shot tomorrow.

We usually put in at tualatin park and paddle up to cook park..... there is a ton of cover and structure... between cook and tualatin park there are tons of trees in the water... bridge pilings and Fanno creek comes in right after the pedestrian bride... seen lots of big fish jump in that area... not sure how deep... probably like 10-12 ft in the middle... there is a shallow spot just up from the bridges its inchs deep there... its probably 20 ft wide... nice spot to fish

G
GDBrown
I have seen the T at Rood Bridge Park as well..... Not for me. They will be putting fresh fish into Hagg lake next week and the week after for the fall fishing. Things should be good at Hagg by the end of next week. That's about as close to Banks as you can get. I'm going to try my new float tube at Hagg next week on one of the stream inlets.

GD

C
cookshot
Fished above cook park today. Bad call, no fish. definitely going to try below though now. Is the water always murky?

G
GDBrown
cookshot said:
Fished above cook park today. Bad call, no fish. definitely going to try below though now. Is the water always murky?

The water is always murky and get worse every time it rains. Welcome to Oregon Non-Summers.

GD

C
c_chickens
cookshot said:

what did u throw? 1 thing we did notice is that we were fishn the logs to much! and all of your fish came off rocks! even the largies! the water is getn colder so those rocks r goin to hold the heat an food! r best luck came under the bridge! i want to say it was after tualatin park!

Last edited:
B
Born2Fish55
Try small Rapala, Rebel or Yozuri in slow classic twitching - zig zag actions in the cover... Fish the structure! Lots of Bass... use a little 'Gulp' scent to cover your scent AND DON'T DRESS IN BRIGHT COLORS!!!!! Think of it as warfare and try to blend into the back ground, as they spook easily.

C
cookshot
c_chickens said:
what did u throw?

We were using mostly senkos but I used my other pole to throw rooster tails, spinner baits, and crank baits every fifth or sixth cast. We were fishing a lot of logs and not so much rocks, that could be the trick.

Born2Fish55 said:
Try small Rapala, Rebel or Yozuri in slow classic twitching - zig zag actions in the cover... Fish the structure! Lots of Bass... use a little 'Gulp' scent to cover your scent AND DON'T DRESS IN BRIGHT COLORS!!!!! Think of it as warfare and try to blend into the back ground, as they spook easily.

I'm not sure I fish rapalas correctly. I was using a little octopus looking thing that has a rapala type action, but do you generally fish it on top of the water, or if you use it diving, what numbers do you use as far as depth?

C
c_chickens
i try 2 stay away from cranks! i did get 1 off a crank but also lost 4! it was a 20$ fish! it was beatn off the bottom! we got most of them on the double tail weight less! the water around cook park is about 15ft!

C
cookshot
c_chickens said:
i try 2 stay away from cranks! i did get 1 off a crank but also lost 4! it was a 20$ fish! it was beatn off the bottom! we got most of them on the double tail weight less! the water around cook park is about 15ft!

That has pretty much been the reason I haven't learned to use them. What are double tails? Are you talking double tail jigs or what?

D
dangerranger
I fished the tualatin yesterday between cook and tualatin park from a boat. Only one small bass in the boat but there were big... BIG.... fish jumping all over. Not sure what the heck they were.. my buddy I was with said he saw one all the way out of the water that was about 20+ inches... really big bass... or would those be carp? The river was pretty blown out from saturdays rains.. saw a couple other people with some good sized pike minnows

B
beaverfan
They very well could have been Coho jumping too.