Fishing trouble! Marion lake? new to fishing..

B
bballer3
Hey guys! new here and I'm looking for some advice :) Well, I actually just decided to get into fishing because my father used to be into it. We'll we both went up to Marion Lake for the last couple days and had NO LUCK getting any fish. I even had a inflatable raft which I went out to the middle of the lake and fished out of.. I used spinners, bobbers, yellow power bait, worms and even a nice little lepord frog as bait and NOT ONE fish the whole trip. In fact, I only got about 5-6 bites and I was fishing in the middle of the lake and such... when I was out there in the lake on the raft, tons of fish were jumping around 5pm and they would still not go for any of my stuff that I used. So I know that they are there! :/

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions to why I might not have been catching anything? what you guys used? bait etc?

It just really frustrated me! Thanks in advance everyone!

M
Mattdm22
I have been there twice this year and had luck on each trip. I tossed kastmasters from the bank and caught a couple brookies. I hate getting skunked especially during hike-in trips. I hope this doesn't stop ya from trying another run sometime it is really great up there.:)

B
bballer3
Mattdm22 said:
I have been there twice this year and had luck on each trip. I tossed kastmasters from the bank and caught a couple brookies. I hate getting skunked especially during hike-in trips. I hope this doesn't stop ya from trying another run sometime it is really great up there.:)

thanks for the response! were exactly were you exactly on the lake? we were camped in on the lower trails by the little creek and the brige... like on the shallow side. But remember, i was in a raft so I was in deep enough water.. fishing were jumping from all around me but nothing bitin and anything I had!! any other advice on how to fish here?

Last edited:
M
Mattdm22
We were fishing the cove where Marion Creek flows into the lake but we were on the left side of the cove where the water was pretty deep.

B
bballer3
hmm. what kind of bait were you using? does it matter what color the power bait is?

T
Throbbit _Shane
i buy the rainbow powerbait and it works for me at multiple places, but i havent fished Marion lake before. For spinners id buy a couple colors of panther martins

these two colors are my favorites, also the rainbow holographic one :D
s7_123346_renderset_01?$main-Large$.jpg

When using spinners at lakes u want it to fall as far as possible before u retrieve it, also vary your speeds, if slow isn't working go faster

Welcome to the forum!! dont be afraid to ask questions, i got back into fishing last year after not fishing for many years.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
If you see fish jumping throw out a dry fly

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Dry fly.

Plus, try fishing closer to shore as well as in the middle (maybe 50 - 80 feet out from the bank). Most larger trout hold where the drops off are (as long as the oxygen level and temperature range is good for them). They hang there, sneak up and ambush their prey in the shallower water nearer to the bank.

Welcome to OFF!

C
capblack
try a dry fly behind a bobber with your spinning set up if there jumping, there going for flies, Brian

B
bballer3
it seems to me there were so many flies on the water that i don't knwo if my one dry fly would have drawn attention.. i mean, there were hundreds and hundreds of them... any specific way that i can draw more attention when using flies? any other suggestions?

also, what about hook sizes? i was using a medium sized trebble and my dad used to catch them using cheese on the trebbles.. what kind of sizes or hooks should be used?

Thanks so much for all the comments, I'm now excited to go back out!

B
bigfootfish
Marion Lake

Marion Lake

Marion Lake. Awesome water. I was up there a few years back when the tree pollen was lying on the surface. No fish would jump through that stuff. However, there is a coldwater spring that comes up out in the lake, and the upwelling of the water would create a little clear area. I was in a two-man raft and I tossed a lure into the cleared area and kawham! Fish on! The trout there will congregate near that cleared spot and the competion for bugs was amazing.
I had great luck catching brookies from the bank with a sliding sinker and a whole large worm with a marshmellow attached to the barb so as to float the worm up off the bottom. And if you can get into Marion in the spring, try this: hike into Lake Ann which is right before Marion when Ann is still half covered with ice. Toss a whole worm onto the ice and drag it until it falls off the ice into the water. Brookies will come out of hiding to feast! YEAH!!!

BFF

B
bballer3
bigfootfish said:
Marion Lake. Awesome water. I was up there a few years back when the tree pollen was lying on the surface. No fish would jump through that stuff. However, there is a coldwater spring that comes up out in the lake, and the upwelling of the water would create a little clear area. I was in a two-man raft and I tossed a lure into the cleared area and kawham! Fish on! The trout there will congregate near that cleared spot and the competion for bugs was amazing.
I had great luck catching brookies from the bank with a sliding sinker and a whole large worm with a marshmellow attached to the barb so as to float the worm up off the bottom. And if you can get into Marion in the spring, try this: hike into Lake Ann which is right before Marion when Ann is still half covered with ice. Toss a whole worm onto the ice and drag it until it falls off the ice into the water. Brookies will come out of hiding to feast! YEAH!!!

BFF

oh wow! thanks for the suggestion! approximently what part of the lake is the underwater spring located?? Is may and march the best times to go to marion? Once again, thanks!

Dustin

troutdude
troutdude
I have had luck on many lakes, by using a bobber and Woolly Buggers too (most Olive Green & Black ones).

You can also buy a cheap syringe at a Pharmacy. Use it to inject pockets of air into a worm. That'll help it float too.