Fishing tomorrow morning - Wilson River

L
love2fish
Hello fellow fishermen,

Thinking about heading to the Wilson River tomorrow morning/afternoon. Anyone know of a good bank fishing location along the river that my friend and I could start at? I drove along highway 6 a while back and it looked like there might be some good fishing all along there but some of it might be private property. Any tips?

Thanks!
Chris:D

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
There isn't very much private property at all up there, however there aren't many Steelhead in there right now either. There are a bunch of native Coho and some Fall Chinooks. As far as where to start there are dozens of pulloffs and each one has at least one good hole. Make sure you check the regs before heading out, could save ya a big ticket. Good luck out there, I'm gonna try to make a couple trips out there this week.

L
love2fish
beaverfan said:
There isn't very much private property at all up there, however there aren't many Steelhead in there right now either. There are a bunch of native Coho and some Fall Chinooks. As far as where to start there are dozens of pulloffs and each one has at least one good hole. Make sure you check the regs before heading out, could save ya a big ticket. Good luck out there, I'm gonna try to make a couple trips out there this week.

Are there going to be many regular trout in there? My buddy will be fly fishing and not sure what we should expect to be in there. Just native Coho and Fall Chinooks?

Chris

B
beaverfan
Yes there are but they are off limits. Almost all streams and rivers closed to trout angling on Oct. 31

L
love2fish
beaverfan said:
Yes there are but they are off limits. Almost all streams and rivers closed to trout angling on Oct. 31

So pretty much all of it will be Catch and Release huh? That's OK I guess :)

B
beaverfan
No there should be a couple Summer Steelhead (fin clipped)in there, as well as some Native Chinook that you are able to keep!

F
Fishtopher
Flows permitting, isn't the Wilson normally loaded with fish this time of year? Coho, Chinook, a few leftover Summer Steelhead, with a dash of early Winters and a dab of Cutties??

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Ya there's lots of fish, the problem is most you aren't able to keep. It's closed for Cutties, can only keep fin clipped coho, and there aren't a lot of Chinooks in there yet. I will be taking my first Winter Steel trip probably right after Thanksgiving. But there are tons of Coho which are always fun to C&R

S
skunk
I really struggled figuring out how to fish the wilson. Its a smaller stream so I wasn't sure how to go about it. Say with a spinner, it seemed by the time I tossed it a bit upstream, let it float down and then tap the tip to get it to spin it was hitting bottom and then the drift was over. Also tried a float with yarn and corkie. I used a 30" leader but it seemed that was too long and the corkie setup floated too high. Also with that do I cast it up stream in a shute and then let it float down and by as far as possible? Any ideas would help as I'm new to this and had quite a bit more trouble that I ever had trout fishing. Not too mention all the LEAVES in the water. wow.