Fishing the Necanicum

dschmunis
dschmunis
I'm continuing on my exploration of all the wonderful rivers and lakes that Oregon has to offer. I came across some postings about the Necanicum river and was wondering if any one has any intel/info/reports on trout fishing here?

I'm still assembling my salmon/steelhead gear so not ready for that but would love to know if it's worth going out for some trout.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
D

dschmunis
dschmunis
Thanks @troutdude. I did do a search before posting as most results are from much earlier this year. I guess I was hoping for “fresher” results! ;)

troutdude
troutdude
You won't find any salmon or steelhead right now. The spring and summer runs are done.

Not until the rain raises the water level; and the water temperature is cool enough. Then the Fall Nooks will arrive. Followed by Winter Steel.

dschmunis
dschmunis
Yeah, I figure that. Hoping for some cutthroat and get familiar with the area before the new season starts! Thank you for all the help and information!

Stay safe and stay healthy!
D

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Yep. It's mid season for sea run cutties now. Whatcha waitin' for...get out there and catch some! LOL

PhoFish
PhoFish
ha, the key is to find this mystery tidewater area :)

dschmunis
dschmunis
Went to the Necanicum river today (Klootchy Park) and hiked up river on the logging road. Good action early to mid morning. Caught a bunch of really small ones (the spinner sometimes was as big as the fish) and a few in the 12” size. Water is worm and low but if you can find fish, then seem pretty eager to eat anything you throw their way!

Reactions: troutdude, PhoFish and Markk
PhoFish
PhoFish
Oh nice! Klootchy Park.. I will have to check that out. How much logging road did you actually have to drive on before you got out to Hike?

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Glad that you could get out there and fling some spinners.

dschmunis
dschmunis
@PhoFish just park at the park parking lot and hike up to logging road. it’s flat and wide open. that said, access to the river is spotty higher up so best option os to just hike the river bed. Down below by the parking lot there’s a nice path that goes up river for a few hundred yards.

Reactions: PhoFish