Fishing the Crooked at/near Smith Rock State Park.......

S
Spydeyrch
Any one fished here before or lately? Not necessarily at/in the park but both in/at and near.

I love Smith. I used to climb there all the time, every summer. I used to take out summer camps from here locally and teach them to climb and hike. It was awesome!! I don't climb as much as I used to now, having kids will do that to you. But I would love to hit that area and fish it.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!!!

-Spydey

S
spmpdr
I to am interested in this, I have wanted to fish there but have never seen anyone fish that section. Maybe ill head there and give it a try

S
Spydeyrch
I am over here in Beaverton so to make a trip out there to check and see if perhaps it might have fish, is a little costly for me. So...... if you get out there and see that it does, please let me know!! It would be awesome to go fishing during the early morning hatch, then during the heat of the sun hit the rock wall, then back to the waters during the evening hatch. I think it would be a little slice of Heaven!

Let me know how it goes!

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
i have wanted to fish that part of the river for 3 years now. i wanted to work my way down river away from the park. maybe i'll actually do it this summer. i think you'd kill it with nymphs. . . shhh

S
Spydeyrch
That is what I was thinking. Perhaps starting a little above the park then working my way down the river. Using nymphs is a great idea, I will have to try it this summer when I get a chance to head out that way.

Anyone else?

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
you can also fish down at the opal springs hydroelectric facility,a little bit of a hike but have great fishing down there

S
steelhead_slayer
good idea, that's the kind of water i like.. i'm originally from culver and forgot about that

S
spmpdr
bigsteel said:
you can also fish down at the opal springs hydroelectric facility,a little bit of a hike but have great fishing down there

Where is this opal springs place you speak of? I live like ten minutes from smith rock state park. I would love to have another spot on the crooked to fish so i dont have to drive out to prineville all the time. Is is legal this time of year?

S
spmpdr
bigsteel said:

Thank you sir, i think ill have a go at that spot , is it pretty easy to find the water once your out there? Do i fish above or below the hydro facility?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Let us know how it goes down there. I've wondered about that spot for a few years now. The gate where you must leave your vehicle is about a mile from my farm. I ride my quad over there and look at the river from the top. It's 863 verticle feet down to the river. There is a gravel road you can walk down, and then of course back up. For a young fellow with good legs and in shape I suppose it might be worth the trip. It could even be what might be called an adventure.;)

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I forgot, you might want some good directions....You'll be coming north on hwy 97 as you get close to Juniper Butte you'll see a weigh station for the southbound traffic, just past the weigh station is a left turn lane, make a left turn there onto Monroe Lane and head east. Monroe lane will take past the south side of Juniper Butte and over the North Unit irrigation ditch then the R/R tracks. The road makes a sharp 90 degree turn and heads north and becomes Green Lane, that leads straight north to LaSalle lane. Turn left onto LaSalle lane and head east. You head east past Terra lane you'll go past a large hay shed on the right. Keep on LaSalle until the pavement ends you'll see a very large new brown house to the left just before the pavement ends. The gravel road will curve to the south and you will be on BLM land at that point. Just before you get to the locked gate there will be a gravel pit on your right. Good luck;)

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Great directions there Irishrover. Thanks. I am hoping that someone is able to get out there and then report back what it was like.

-spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
i'm going to try it this springs. since i don't know what the flows are at during winter

S
Spydeyrch
@ Steelhead_Slayer

Hey, I was thinking the same thing. I am getting antsy for spring to come already!!! There is nothing like getting your first spring trout on a tight line!! What a rush!

-Spydey

S
spmpdr
Irishrover said:
I forgot, you might want some good directions....You'll be coming north on hwy 97 as you get close to Juniper Butte you'll see a weigh station for the southbound traffic, just past the weigh station is a left turn lane, make a left turn there onto Monroe Lane and head east. Monroe lane will take past the south side of Juniper Butte and over the North Unit irrigation ditch then the R/R tracks. The road makes a sharp 90 degree turn and heads north and becomes Green Lane, that leads straight north to LaSalle lane. Turn left onto LaSalle lane and head east. You head east past Terra lane you'll go past a large hay shed on the right. Keep on LaSalle until the pavement ends you'll see a very large new brown house to the left just before the pavement ends. The gravel road will curve to the south and you will be on BLM land at that point. Just before you get to the locked gate there will be a gravel pit on your right. Good luck;)

Great directions , thank you . Is it safe to park my truck at the gate? I dont want it to get towed or broke into or something. I am heading down there on monday or tuesday . Once i get to the locked gate i just follow the gravel road beyond it? I will let you guys know how it goes , the water levels sould be prime for fishing down there by then with this recent warmer weather.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Your vehicle should be safe, lots of room there to park and it is BLM land. The rattlesnakes should all be hibernating by now so that part should be ok. Keep an eye out for the cougars they get hungery this time of year.:shock:

S
steelhead_slayer
i can't wait to hear how you did. are you going to fly fish it?

S
Spydeyrch
Let us know how it went. I am excited to get out there sometime soon.