Fishing the Coos Bay Area?

R
ramajama83
I want to fish Chinook in the Coos Bay area and am wondering if anyone can help me out with locations to go to and idea of what lures or bait to use,
:pray: Thanks and good Day

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Well hello and welcome to OFF! I have no clue about anything on the west side, but I'm sure someone will give ya few pointers.;):)

R
ramajama83
Fishing Coos Bay for Salmon?

Fishing Coos Bay for Salmon?

Fishtopher said:
Well hello and welcome to OFF! I have no clue about anything on the west side, but I'm sure someone will give ya few pointers.;):)

Thanx Chris:D

F
Fishtopher
Err...maybe not. Must not be any fish in Coos Bay.:lol::think:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Uh,Oh...boo-boo

Uh,Oh...boo-boo

ramajama83 said:
Thanx Chris:D

Whoops! We all seem to have missed your thread,ramajama83. Sorry about that. On behalf of all members here on OFF, WELCOME!! I hope you won't hold this boo-boo against all of us. We are normally a lot more attentive and friendly than this.
Unfortunately I also am of no real use when it comes to Coos Bay fishing. So,
how about it OFF members?! Anyone have the down-low on the aforementioned bay? Surely at least one of the fisherfold here has some kind of experience with Coos Bay? Maybe the name or number of a tackle shop that could provide the needed info? You know,ramajama83, you also could google Coos Bay for tackle shop listings. That may end up being your best bet. Good luck and please post the results of your trip.
Barb

R
ramajama83
Got Skunked!!!

Got Skunked!!!

I went fishing with my dad and 3 yr old son .
We tried a herring ri w 2 oz weight and dodger setup and after 4 hrs of steady trolling w /hummimng bird fish finder ringing w / fish showing around 25ft to 30 ft no fish were caught Did we hold our mouth wrong? Wondering if their is any advice?
Thanx RAM:pray:
:pray:

F
Fishtopher
Bummer.
Yer not supposed to have yer socks pulled all the way up.:naughty:

R
ramajama83
thanx for your input chris and barb!!!!

thanx for your input chris and barb!!!!

thank you,
Thank you both for your help.
Robert Mayer jr
:dance:

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to the site..

Welcome to the site..

Nice to have you on board ramajama83, a coastal angler...ever chase the wily Sea Run Cutties...? One heck of a fighter. Enjoy the site.....

Chuck

F
fishkiller
ramajama83 said:

I went fishing with my dad and 3 yr old son .
We tried a herring ri w 2 oz weight and dodger setup and after 4 hrs of steady trolling w /hummimng bird fish finder ringing w / fish showing around 25ft to 30 ft no fish were caught Did we hold our mouth wrong? Wondering if their is any advice?
Thanx RAM:pray:
:pray:

25ft to 30 ft sounds about right. I've fished the Coos with my late father in law and we used line counters to make sure we had the bait in the strike zone. You want your bait almost on the bottom. I usually spool out til I feel my lead on the bottom and I reel up one time. I usually brine my herring in rock salt and anise oil. I actully have a bait cooler I keep in the freezer to make sure it keeps my bait frozen longer. I hope this hepls.
Derek

Y
yellowjacket
Been Some Time Ago

Been Some Time Ago

ramajama83 said:
I want to fish Chinook in the Coos Bay area and am wondering if anyone can help me out with locations to go to and idea of what lures or bait to use,
:pray: Thanks and good Day

Late is better than never. It has been 25yrs since I lived in Coos Bay but most people were fishing the Coos River Tidewater between Eastside & Dellwood. East fork of Millicoma to Allegheny also. Would troll ping pong ball sized spin & glo's trailing smelt, herring, anchovie or eggs & the trolling spoons like the commercial fleet was using. Usually the fluoro pink with black dots. Would keep it 2' or less off the bottom . Were still hauling log rafts then so there were well defined channels, may not be as pronounced now but would generally stay in the center as much as possible. Depending on the # of downriggers & people- would put different rigs on till strikes then go to the hit rig. Of course the local buzz would have the hot set-up that was getting fish in the boat & eliminate some of the trial & error. Basin Tackle in Charleston would probably be a good bet for phone call advice prior to the drive. were in business then & still are now.

F
fishndad
if your looking for some help in the coos bay area ive been here my entire life and have fished the entire time so i know basicaly every place to catch a fish! give me a holler if ya need some info