Fishing the Alsea Saturday or Sunday

V
vanbrunt
Hey everybody. I've posted a few times looking for Alsea help (my in-laws live in Corvallis so I go fish the Alsea for half a day every time we go visit :D ). Thanks to those who've helped in the past! I'm looking to go out again this Saturday and/or Sunday. Should I target Nooks? Would it be worth my time driving that far down? I also noticed that there were a few posts stating that ho's have closed (for native retention). Are there also hatchery mixed in? Is it illegal to target ho's (I always C&R natives even if a river is open for retention.) Basically I just want to get into fish and am less concerned with retention and don't want to get a ticket for targeting or, Lord willing, landing an "illegal" fish. I also want to drive the minimum distance down stream to be able to get into fishable water. I'm not expecting info on secret honey-holes or anything but looking for general guidance. Thanks in advance for the help!

P
plumb2fish
I wouldn't want to fish anywhere above 5 rivers, as that is the salmon deadline and it becomes your word against a gamies....

troutdude
troutdude
Copied and pasted, from ODFW's Oct. 22nd press release:

"The wild coho salmon season on the Alsea River will close at the end of the day Tuesday, Oct. 23. According to ODFW fish biologists the wild adult coho quota of 950 fish for the river has been met.

The river will remain open to adipose fin-clipped hatchery coho under permanent regulations and for Chinook salmon under temporary regulations adopted earlier this year."

The river is open for Nooks, up to Fall Creek. It is also open to that same deadline, for clipped steel. The N. Fork, is also open for clipped steel, up to the hatchery deadline.

P
plumb2fish
From Oregon administrative rules....All waters above the confluence of 5 rivers are closed for the retention of chinook salmon August 1st-December 31st

P
plumb2fish
Since there are only stray summer steelhead and hatchery(clipped) coho in the Alsea, fishing above the confluence of 5 Rivers puts you at risk of being given a ticket for angling for salmon in closed waters...whether that is your intention or not......More importantly, don't follow internet posts reguarding rules for specific fisheries...look them up yourself. Even the most well intentioned of us are prone to human error.

troutdude
troutdude
Good point Plumb, peeps need to look up the regs for themselves.

What I posted above, however, came right out of the Fishing Reg's book for 2012 (page 27). I also checked ODFW's online updates, and there have been no changes, to what is in the reg book. Plus, there is no mention (in the reg book) of a salmon deadline at Five Rivers. The regs only mention the deadline at Fall Creek.

So, do we go by what is listed in the reg book or by OAR (Oregon Administrative Rules)? And what would an ODFW OFFicial, or State Trooper, go by? How about a Judge, in the courtroom? If the deadline is Five Rivers; then I totally agree that it would be illegal to fish any higher for salmon. Because Fall Creek is farther upstream.

So, I would tend to err on the side of caution--and not fish above Five Rivers. But, then again, the river is open above Five Rivers (for sure) for Ho's and Steel. So, if you're targeting those fish...wouldn't it be legal to C & R any nooks?

Oregon needs to simplify.

P.S. Not trying to be argumentative here. Just trying to sort it out. It's good to err, on the side of caution!

Last edited:
S
Shark 13
Ya i was gonna go to the Alsea to do some fishing this morning but i seen they closed the Coho down. Trying to read and understand these regulations is a pain in the butt sometimes. So I decided not to take a risk of a ticket and will wait for the steel head to start coming in. I just wish they could make the regulations a lot more user friendly.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Weird to see you hung up again over the salmon regs Troutdude, especially since you just had the same problem over the Siletz. Did you not read any of the responses? There isn't a "err on the side of caution to fishing above 5 Rivers". There just plain is NO salmon fishing above 5 Rivers, and its stated clearly.

Here is the link straight from ODFW's web page.. I think you need to stop and read the regs, or stop posting your opinions of the regs to the public before you get someone in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
troutdude
troutdude
My comments came directly from the PRINTED reg book. I DID read them; BEFORE I posted my comments. I searched online too; and could not find the information that you provided. So, thanks for the clarification Squatch.

And if anyone doesn't read the reg's for THEMSELVES, then it isn't my fault. I'm only trying my best to help. I didn't say I was correct, just confused and trying to sort it all out. And yes, it IS confusing. It's not just me that's confused. Or, others wouldn't be asking these questions in the first place.

Last edited:
V
vanbrunt
Yeah I have been reading the regs and always look them up before going out. the Alsea regs are particularly muddy though. Didn't make it out today. hopefully tomorrow

troutdude
troutdude
He said muddy...

true dat. especially today!

Good luck tomorrow.