Fishing the Alsea River boat ramps

K
kingfish
On my way back from the coast on old hwy 34 I stopped at a few boat ramps to catch trout. I caught 3 at one place and 4 at another 3 rainbows and 4 "redbanded" trout first fish of the day was a beauty the rest were a little on the small side. It was just a beautiful day to go fishing and I loved every second of it can't wait to head back there this weekend to c if I can get those big boys to come out. (Pic is of first fish)

• imagejpeg_0blah.jpg
C_Run
C_Run
Trout season opens on May 23 this year.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
checking the NW Zone regs and Special Regs. for the Alsea River (above the bay), it is only open for clipped steelhead right now until April 30, you cannot fish for or retain trout until May 23. The one you are holding is very likely a young wild steelhead heading for the ocean...oops! better read up on the regs or your wallet is going to get much lighter...

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. You were fishing illegally. Don't mean to be blunt. But that's a fact.

J
JonT
This has to be a troll post. It has to be.

J
JeannaJigs
ugh that's a steelhead smolt you're holding at the campbell boat ramp it looks like. absolutely not legal, even as a bycatch if you were fishing for steelhead they must go back.

K
kingfish
I always release and never harm the fish but yes I need to read the regs more I guess

C_Run
C_Run
:popcorn:

jhop111
jhop111
:hopelessness:

Last edited by a moderator:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kingfish said:
I always release and never harm the fish but yes I need to read the regs more I guess

kingfish- you will need to adjust your handling of fish that you release in Oregon to comply with the regulations. several places in the regulations you will see this: "All trout, salmon and steelhead that are released must be unharmed and should not be removed from the water." I think if a Trooper saw you handling one as per your pictures and then released it, you would not be pleased with the discussion that followed. And you cannot catch and release fish in water where you cannot fish for them. the fines we are hoping you avoid start at like $200 and go to $600 (or more), so these are not parking tickets...cheers, roger

bass
bass
You win the post of the day :)

J
JeannaJigs
kingfish said:
Your finger is all the way down its throat via the gills, that fish died rapidly after release.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

K
kingfish
Notes taken I will adjust the areas addressed by me fellow anglers thank you for your input.

Reactions: rogerdodger
troutdude
troutdude
Good on you; for wanting to do it the right (and legal) way.

J
JonT
kingfish said:

Mortality goes way up when you gill a fish.

K
kingfish
I always want to be legal troutdude I was just unaware of certain regulations

K
kingfish
Where I grew up a closed river meant u can fish but catch and release only

B
BaldTexan
I hear ya. The regulations here are overwhelming at first (still are really. Only started fishing here a year ago). You'll get used to it on the places you frequent eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk