Fishing report: Winchester Bay to Umpqua (Scottsburg, then Elkton)

Ikijime
Ikijime
Canopy camped in Winchester Bay on Friday night, was up before sunrise for spinner flinging for salmon in Halfmoon Bay. There were about a dozen anglers for the incoming and high slack tide, but I only saw one land a fin-clipped Coho on a pink spinner. It's been pretty slow out there for bank anglers according to the Salmon Harbor bait shop.

After high slack, I switched gears over to the South Jetty for some rockfish. I'd talked with Pete Heley, at the Stockade market, about rockfish. I'd purchased one of his books on coastal fishing that had a page on this spot. I used Safeway shrimp (lol) and squid to haul in 1 black rockfish. Didn't have any more luck there. I don't think I want out far enough this time, but it was my first time out there.

I took Hwy 38 along the Umpqua on the way home. I stopped under Scottsburg Bridge and caught 2 smallmouth bass with nightcrawlers under a bobber. This was my first time fishing for this species, so I was pretty excited. I tried again in Elkton, behind the high school, but didn't get any bites. I did see several salmon jumping, though. There were a ton of tiny fish jumping, and I'm sure the salmon were feasting on them. Does anyone have more information on this place? 20160924_202858.jpg

Reactions: bd2cool
G
Gulfstream
sounds like a good trip!

Reactions: Ikijime
troutdude
troutdude
Ditto. Well done; and nice fish.

Ikijime
Ikijime
Thanks, all! I'm new to this and am learning as much as I can.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
What a great excursion! Liked the way you mixed things up.

Ikijime
Ikijime
Thanks, Hooked Up! That's my goal, to know enough that I've always got options if one method or species isn't working out on any particular circumstance :)

J
jtnwdc
Thanks for that report--I'm new to the area and was wondering what was going on upriver. Those smallies are tasty, I've caught a number on my spinners lately, while casting for salmon...first time I've been disappointed catching 16" smallmouth!

J
jtnwdc
Missed the date on that report--only a month late! Imagine an eye rolling emoji in this space...

Ikijime
Ikijime
It's fine, jtnwdc! I enjoy sharing. I'm still a newbie, so I don't often have information to offer, except for my own personal experiences. I"ve learned so much from this site, though, that I try to give back whatever I can.