Fishing Report for Hagg Lake on 5/15/09

B
bdogdt47
Well, I promised to post a fish report for Hagg Lake. Arrived at 7:30 and launched my boat at B ramp. Beautiful day and there were maybe 20 boats on the lake. The lake was not as clear as I have seen it and I wonder if the heavy rain earlier this week had something to do with that? Not sure. Water temp, according to my fish finder, was anywhere from 58.5 degrees to 61.7 degrees in other parts of the lake. The lake level was up from past years where I have fished Hagg. My fish finder was showing the fish shallow, for the most part. Many were between 7 and 10 feet for you trollers. Bank fishermen, be happy. It appeared the bank fisherman did better than the boaters who were trolling. Most bank fisherman were using power bait or power eggs in various colors. Some of the bank fisherman did very well, some not so well, but all seemed to have at least caught a few fish. We did a pretty good circuit of the lake (or two) and there were lots of folks bank fishings off the grassy picnic area next to boat ramp C. A pleasant place to fish with restrooms nearby and even a snack bar. Also some folks fish next to Boat Ramp B. We saw large concentrations of fish with the fish finder off the North side of the dam, just off the big rocks (next to the restricted area). They were LARGE concentrations and when we returned later that day they had moved, so assume they may have been warm water fish, perhaps.....?

We caught a few trout, one perch. The trout were smaller than I was used to catching and threw them back for next year. I have to say, that the trolling was pretty bad, compared to the last time I fished Hagg a couple of years ago. Had a limit and was off the lake in 2.5 hours last time. I guess that is why they call it "fishing", not "catching" eh? I did talk to one guy who fishes the lake every week with a boat as I was leaving. He had eight nice fish, including a 17" trout. He said he was trolling VERY SLOWLY with "forty pulls" of line out, fishing a Ford Fender on one pole and a Willow Leaf on the other pole, with a worm on a hook 24" behind the lure (no weight). He was fishing back and forth in a direct line between boat ramp B and boat ramp C. Will try that next time. He had eight fish and estimated he had lost 10. They were biting very lightly yesterday. The park fee for the lake is $5 and $6 if you are dragging a boat behind you. Best of luck to anyone who goes.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks

Thanks

bdogdt47 said:
Well, I promised to post a fish report for Hagg Lake. Arrived at 7:30 and launched my boat at B ramp. Beautiful day and there were maybe 20 boats on the lake. The lake was not as clear as I have seen it and I wonder if the heavy rain earlier this week had something to do with that? Not sure. Water temp, according to my fish finder, was anywhere from 58.5 degrees to 61.7 degrees in other parts of the lake. The lake level was up from past years where I have fished Hagg. My fish finder was showing the fish shallow, for the most part. Many were between 7 and 10 feet for you trollers. Bank fishermen, be happy. It appeared the bank fisherman did better than the boaters who were trolling. Most bank fisherman were using power bait or power eggs in various colors. Some of the bank fisherman did very well, some not so well, but all seemed to have at least caught a few fish. We did a pretty good circuit of the lake (or two) and there were lots of folks bank fishings off the grassy picnic area next to boat ramp C. A pleasant place to fish with restrooms nearby and even a snack bar. Also some folks fish next to Boat Ramp B. We saw large concentrations of fish with the fish finder off the North side of the dam, just off the big rocks (next to the restricted area). They were LARGE concentrations and when we returned later that day they had moved, so assume they may have been warm water fish, perhaps.....?

We caught a few trout, one perch. The trout were smaller than I was used to catching and threw them back for next year. I have to say, that the trolling was pretty bad, compared to the last time I fished Hagg a couple of years ago. Had a limit and was off the lake in 2.5 hours last time. I guess that is why they call it "fishing", not "catching" eh? I did talk to one guy who fishes the lake every week with a boat as I was leaving. He had eight nice fish, including a 17" trout. He said he was trolling VERY SLOWLY with "forty pulls" of line out, fishing a Ford Fender on one pole and a Willow Leaf on the other pole, with a worm on a hook 24" behind the lure (no weight). He was fishing back and forth in a direct line between boat ramp B and boat ramp C. Will try that next time. He had eight fish and estimated he had lost 10. They were biting very lightly yesterday. The park fee for the lake is $5 and $6 if you are dragging a boat behind you. Best of luck to anyone who goes.

bdogt47;
Thanks for the great report. Hagg seems to be a very fickle lake. Always glad to hear from a determined guy/gal who knows the water. The park fees are still cheap for the entertainment compared to going to a movie,etc. The real expense is all the gear and then the cost of forgetting to take something to eat with you. :confused: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

F
FishSchooler
I've caught more fish from the bank there than any other lake on a boat. Just simple bottom fishing with PB will get you your limit somedays. The water temp is that high? Time to break out the raft!

O
Oregonchris
Good report! Thanks

R
Redfox458
Anybody going fishing over memorial day weekend? I was thinking about getting out there tomorrow morning early. Anybody have any idea when they open the gates??? Thanks!

M
madoc
Redfox458 said:
Anybody going fishing over memorial day weekend? I was thinking about getting out there tomorrow morning early. Anybody have any idea when they open the gates??? Thanks!

There are no gates. You just need to get a parking pass.

F
FishSchooler
They open at sunrise and close at sunset.

H
Hook
Does HHL Lake have bank access for someone that has trouble walking? Thanks for any info.

M
madoc
Hook said:
Does HHL Lake have bank access for someone that has trouble walking? Thanks for any info.

Yes it does - Boat Ramp C is reasonably accessible (if you can walk, you can find a decent place to fish), and there is a handicap specific ramp right off the south side of the dam. After you enter past the toll house, turn left and cross the dam.

R
Redfox458
madoc said:
There are no gates. You just need to get a parking pass.

Hmmmmm interesting. Thanks for the info. Tomorrow will be my first time there.

R
Redfox458
Fished at ramp C today, it was very windy and very crowded, but I expected that for the memorial day weekend. I still managed to get my limit, but they were all just over 8" long. Fish seemed to be biting all day long, mostly on the brighter colored power bait. I used the red color at first and everybody around me was catching fish. I switched over to the yellow/orange/red and was catching fish almost immediately. Seems the florescent green did the best for everybody.

kidholiday
kidholiday
Cool my lady and I will be heading out there late in the afternoon today for a little trout action and I am going to try some bass too. Has anyone been catching the bucket mouths?

L
lethlwipn
Redfox458 said:
Hmmmmm interesting. Thanks for the info. Tomorrow will be my first time there.

FYI...I was there on Friday 5/22/09 with my family. We cruised by the handicap accessible dock. I got as close to it as I could with the boat and not make people mad. I wanted to see what the depth of the lake was there. My depth finder was showing 47ft. The water level is right up to the bottom of the dock. Water temp. was very refreshing, but not a lot of fish being caught. I was there in the afternoon though.

kidholiday
kidholiday
heading to hagg?

heading to hagg?

I might be heading to Hagg on Monday or Tuesday to do some bass fishing. Anyone catching the bucket mouths yet????
"Wise man no need to climb cherry tree to find cherry, he just needs to spread the limbs"