Fishing photography and fly photography

M
mrlindeman
This is my first attempt at a classic style salmon fly with the materials I had. It is also my first real shot taken of a fly with my new Macro Photography setup I did today. Share your opinions and own photos if you like. :) I am also getting into slow shutter pics as well. I just gotta find some water falls to shoot :) I know this could go into the fly fishing forum but I kinda want to see some all around photography pics as well :)

classicsalmonfly.png

My best tied flies so far.

montanna.png

caddis.png

bulethead.png

attractor.png

M
Modest_Man
What sort of camera? Are you using a tripod or hand holding? What's your macro setup like? Off camera flash? The photos don't seem to be that sharp. Not sure if the focus is off or the camera moved with a slower shutter speed.

I'm no pro by any means, but I've got a pretty nice macro lens that I mess around with every once in a while.
4576823995_b08ac3b1fb_b.jpg

4601836709_355a0bf74b_b.jpg

4596442909_f299d4f180_b.jpg

4775059465_6ef9033378_b.jpg

I've only used an actual macro setup when I took some water droplet photos, like everyone does.
4563567706_749a12f458_b.jpg

4539259896_4149927af5_b.jpg

My "studio" was similar to this. Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

troutdude
troutdude
Nice pics dudes!

M
mrlindeman
My setup is very simple. I am using a cheap Nikkon l20 coolpix. No flash. macro mode preset and no light box. This camera is not meant for this kind of shooting by any means. It has no manual compensation whatsoever. And yes ther are not perfect. Tri pod boom mounted. I think they look great. Yours are pretty much perfessional looking so Im not sure of your comment. I dont see DIY job in any of your pics.

M
Modest_Man
Yeah, you definitely not going to have as much control over settings with a point and shoot. If I were you I'd be trying to pull in diffused ambient light from pretty much any off camera source. Like a lamp or a flashlight behind some white printer paper or tissue paper jut out of the frame. With any macro mode or lens you're going to need a lot more light than with general photography.

Even with a tripod, if you have to manually press the button to engage the shutter you can blur shots. Did you check out the link I gave in the bottom of my post? That's very similar to what I made for controlled indoor macro photography. I can't find any photos of my ghetto set up but it consisted of an aquarium on its side with my subject inside it with a flash off to the side diffused by printer paper. I had my camera on a tripod and used a remote to avoid any camera shake.

If you follow the Strobist DIY macro box I bet you'd see a huge improvement. Instead of flashes just use some lighting you have in the house.

Here's a url to a quick video as well YouTube - DIY Macro Studio

If you don't want any advice I'll shut up.

I went to take some waterfall photos yesterday and hiked all the way there, got my camera all set up and realized I'd left my SD card at home so no waterfall photos for me yesterday. :(

O
OnTheFly
Modest_Man said:
What sort of camera? Are you using a tripod or hand holding? What's your macro setup like? Off camera flash? The photos don't seem to be that sharp. Not sure if the focus is off or the camera moved with a slower shutter speed.

I'm no pro by any means, but I've got a pretty nice macro lens that I mess around with every once in a while.
4576823995_b08ac3b1fb_b.jpg
You are a Master fly tier! That fly looks almost real!

M
mrlindeman
Modest_Man said:
Yeah, you definitely not going to have as much control over settings with a point and shoot. If I were you I'd be trying to pull in diffused ambient light from pretty much any off camera source. Like a lamp or a flashlight behind some white printer paper or tissue paper jut out of the frame. With any macro mode or lens you're going to need a lot more light than with general photography.

Even with a tripod, if you have to manually press the button to engage the shutter you can blur shots. Did you check out the link I gave in the bottom of my post? That's very similar to what I made for controlled indoor macro photography. I can't find any photos of my ghetto set up but it consisted of an aquarium on its side with my subject inside it with a flash off to the side diffused by printer paper. I had my camera on a tripod and used a remote to avoid any camera shake.

If you follow the Strobist DIY macro box I bet you'd see a huge improvement. Instead of flashes just use some lighting you have in the house.

I went to take some waterfall photos yesterday and hiked all the way there, got my camera all set up and realized I'd left my SD card at home so no waterfall photos for me yesterday. :(

The light is from 2 sources and you are right. When I tryed to make a lightbox though I could not get the shot to come out exposed properly :( color did not come out and the whites were over exposed :( I think what I will do is try to make one like in the link you provided and see how I do. :) thanks for the tips modest. Your shots are pretty freakin rockin :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
Modest_Man said:

Have you been to any of the waterfalls on Highway 138? Iv seen your photography before and your pictures of those waterfalls would be awesome.

M
Modest_Man
mrlindeman said:
The light is from 2 sources and you are right. When I tryed to make a lightbox though I could not get the shot to come out exposed properly :( color did not come out and the whites were over exposed :( I think what I will do is try to make one like in the link you provided and see how I do. :) thanks for the tips modest. Your shots are pretty freakin rockin :)

Can you choose different white balance for your camera? Or shoot in RAW? Adjusting the white balance might help. I doubt you could shoot in RAW but if your camera can you could adjust the white balance after taking the photo in Photoshop.

M
mrlindeman
My white balance is set to auto right now for these. I was going to try cloudy day. Its a preset. I heard its a good one. I used a timer when I took these :) i forgot to let ya know that lol. The shutter speed is slow though. The good thing is Im not getting blown out shots. I am also going to try some refracting of the light to expose the undersides of the flies a bit. The blacks are blending. I only really like black backround shots. Next I will be putting the flies on different rocks and wood n such. And my camera does not shoot in RAW bummer. Grrr