Fishing North Scappoose Creek

G
GerbilManBoa
About a week ago I went to fish the mouth of N. Scappoose creek. Conditions: Wind: 5 to 10 mph. Cloud Cover: Mostly Clear. Water temp: 47 degrees. Air temp 51 degrees.

Lure: Soft plastic crawdad - Color: Maroon w/ blue sparkles. Line: Stren 17lb test Hooks: Eagle Claw Size 3 Weight: 1/5 oz.

Strikes: 11 Hooked: 6 Missed: 5

Fish I caught (listed in order of catch - first to last):

14" 4 3/4 lbs Rainbow

10" 3lb Largemouth Bass

9" 2 1/4 lbs Cutthroat

11" 3lb Rainbow

5 1/2" 1lb Rainbow

4" 1/2 lb bullhead (barely hooked)

To me, that's a good day!

I was surprised that that LM bass and the bullhead bit when the water was very cold for any warmwater fish!

H
halibuthitman
those were some fat fish..:think: you actually were in the bay right? N. Scappoose creek is closed right now-

B
Bad Tuna
Very, very fat fish! Nice catch.

H
halibuthitman
almost round....

G
GerbilManBoa
halibuthitman said:
those were some fat fish..:think: you actually were in the bay right? N. Scappoose creek is closed right now-

Yeah. Don't worry, I check up on the current regs & restrictions before I go fishing every time.

H
halibuthitman
Just askin.. I live on that creek.. I call in a lot of guys fishin salmon and steelhead illegally... when it opens go up in the mouth and fish.. very good cutt fishing,also where 30 crosses it in town-

T
Throbbit _Shane
cool report! fat fish for sure

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hm. 4 and 3/4 pound trout that's only 14" would have to be about 16 or 17 inches in girth. That fish isn't even a football, it'd look like a rainbow trout patterned bluegill.

The bass my sister caught last summer that was 16 3/4" long weighed just a bit over 2lbs on her scale - so I can only imagine how balloon shaped that 10" bass must've been.

Didn't happen to snap any pictures did you? Would love to see some of those mutant fish! Imagine, a rainbow trout with the body shape of a bluegill - that would put up one heck of a fight on my negative-one-weight flyrod! :)

You must share with us your secret for finding and catching these massive beast fish - especially in light of the dismal weather we've been having - some of us I'm sure are going stir crazy!

G
GerbilManBoa
GungasUncle said:
Hm. 4 and 3/4 pound trout that's only 14" would have to be about 16 or 17 inches in girth. That fish isn't even a football, it'd look like a rainbow trout patterned bluegill.

The bass my sister caught last summer that was 16 3/4" long weighed just a bit over 2lbs on her scale - so I can only imagine how balloon shaped that 10" bass must've been.

Didn't happen to snap any pictures did you? Would love to see some of those mutant fish! Imagine, a rainbow trout with the body shape of a bluegill - that would put up one heck of a fight on my negative-one-weight flyrod! :)

You must share with us your secret for finding and catching these massive beast fish - especially in light of the dismal weather we've been having - some of us I'm sure are going stir crazy!

Sorry it wasn't a rainbow trout that was 14", it was a salmon! I was still stuck on a report I had heard about a rainbow. But the LM was indeed like a big balloon! It really did look mutant! I thought maybe it had a big meal and some worms. I swear, I wanted to disect it! Man that was weird! And yes those were FAT FISH! That actually was the kind of fishing day I've always dreamed of! Of course I LOVED IT! I do not have a camera or a phone with a camera. I WISH I DID!!!!

B
Bad Tuna
GungasUncle said:

MAybe he was fishing the Trojan pond?:lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
maybe threy were not rainbow trout, maybe they were rainbow perch coming up the creek to spawn because they were stupid and thought they were salmon? LMAO

Diehard
Diehard
ok ill go ahead and say it it didn't happen i also grew up on that creek

S
skunk
I need to get me one of those scales he's using. Maybe my stories would be better at least!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I borrowed his scale yesterday after jetty fishing. The 13 inch bass we brought home weighed 6 lbs, and the 14 incher was a solid 8 pounds 5 ounces. The little guy was only 11 inches, but he was 4 pounds 3.141 ounces...