Fishing Newport (very new to salt)

T
Team CF
I live in Corvallis and am seeing a lot of reports about catching bass and other fish off the Jedi. I have a few questions. When are the best times to go and what sort of gear/bait should I throw and how? I have a ton of bass(Largemouth/Smallmouth) tackle as they have been my primary targets for my of my life. I also have salmon/steelhead gear a pretty good amount of it. I am not looking for secrets spots or anything just the basics I will be fishing off the Jedi mainly. I just want to get everything as close to right as I can because if I make the drive I want to make good use of my time and gas money. Thanks in advance.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Team CF said:
I live in Corvallis and am seeing a lot of reports about catching bass and other fish off the Jedi. I have a few questions. When are the best times to go and what sort of gear/bait should I throw and how? I have a ton of bass(Largemouth/Smallmouth) tackle as they have been my primary targets for my of my life. I also have salmon/steelhead gear a pretty good amount of it. I am not looking for secrets spots or anything just the basics I will be fishing off the Jedi mainly. I just want to get everything as close to right as I can because if I make the drive I want to make good use of my time and gas money. Thanks in advance.

I've never been able to get a Jedi to stand still long enough to fish off of one of them. They are pretty stealthy.

(just yanking your chain a little - couldn't resist)

brandon4455
brandon4455
floating rapalas at night. nonstop action. or large grubs, rubber swimbaits on giant jigheads tipped with bait and BAM! fish oN!! good luck. thats for the jetty though, not the jedi..never fished off a jedi before :lol:

D
DB Crouper
BobbiDollPDX said:
I've never been able to get a Jedi to stand still long enough to fish off of one of them. They are pretty stealthy.

)
I can stand still....KIDDING!

T
Team CF
I had no idea how to spell it haha I thought about looking it up on google but I decided against it because I was already typing. What about tides? incoming out going high low? What type of bait just anything? This looks exciting I am ready to try it out. Is it good fishing over there this time of year? I have caught perch off the beach but im not sure where to go looking for that. How far out on the Jeddys generally would you go? My main goal is not falling in and after that catching a fish.

Last edited:
S
skunk
What brandon said. Also at night, be careful, have lights, I use a life vest just in case, go with someone. It can get dicey out there. Rapala, retrieve fast, then let fall. They hit hard, and multiple times.

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
skunk said:
What brandon said. Also at night, be careful, have lights, I use a life vest just in case, go with someone. It can get dicey out there. Rapala, retrieve fast, then let fall. They hit hard, and multiple times.

definitely wear a PFD and dont forget some lights. there are holes between some of the rocks and they get slippery in some spots. nice job on the safety suggestions there,skunk :clap:

L
lingering colvin
i live in corvallis and go to jetty all the time. i use 8" white rubber worm or large black and white shad with 1 1/2 to 3 oz jig head. 1 1/2 oz on slack tide and 2 to 3 oz on out or in tide. the ocean side of the south is best when low just jigging a worm or herring over the edge in the deep holes. on the bay side slack ,in or out tide casting out jig and slow retreive will get you lings use worm or shad and let bounce off the bottom. for the bass i cast a small to med.shad with 1 to 1 1/2 oz head let drop about 10 feet and slow retreive. i go about half way to the end depending on the condition of the rocks. if you ever want a fishing partner let me know and i will go with you

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon4455