Fishing near Salem

S
Sgrunig90
Dear Offers,

Got some family in town and they would like to go fishing near the town of salem. I've lived here over the past few years. I would like to try something new. Seems like a lot of places here in town are over fished.

My family just wants to catch some fish. They would like some decent sized trout. Hell the little ones would be fine with some bluegills. I personally want anything. :) I dream of catfish though.

I would like to go tomorrow, I know on a Saturday with the sun out for the first time in months.. haha everything may be over fished. :)

I was thinking of these ponds:

St. Louis: I know they recently got stocked. Yet I am not sure I want to go out there if the weeds are bad as they where last year. Yet I feel they have a huge varity for every one. Trout/Cats/Bass/Bluegill.

Wirth: Uhh.. I know it will be packed! No Thank you. :)

Lost Lake: Wasn't sure if snow is gone yet to get up there.

Town Lake: (Pacific City) Heard it's easy and fun fishing.

Mt. Hood Community College Pond: For the younger one's.

Also, I noticed on the way to Corvallis from Salem, there was a ODFW building past the little town on the left. I was told there is a small pond there by a coworker. Anyone know anything?

Any thoughts, tips, or advice would be greatly

Thanks again Offers!

Stephen

troutdude
troutdude
Sgrunig90 said:
Also, I noticed on the way to Corvallis from Salem, there was a ODFW building past the little town on the left. I was told there is a small pond there by a coworker. Anyone know anything?

Stephen

I live very near that pond. The last time that I went by, it had been drained. You might want to call that ODFW office, to check on it before venturing there.

You might also want to go chase crappie and / or 'gills @ Minto-Brown Island Park. It's OFF of South River Road along the Willy. There's good fising in those sloughs and ponds back there. And it's IN Salem to boot! Also, probably not as crowded as the ODFW trout stocked lakes will be. It's "opening" day, so it will indeed be CROWDED everywhere!!!

Good luck.

L
lilsalmon
You might be seeing EE Wilson....if you were on 99. I havent been there in a while but it is a nice little pond. Just follow the road back until you see the parking area. It is a bit of a walk in but if that is the kind of fishing you are looking for it would be nice. It was supposedly stocked with 2325 fishys the week of the 18th....Good luck and have fun

L
lilsalmon
TD you beat me to it....am I thinking of the wrong pond?

troutdude
troutdude
lilsalmon said:
TD you beat me to it....am I thinking of the wrong pond?

True. Ha ha. EE Wilson, however, is another trout spot to consider. However, it will be one of the very most crowded places of all...unless you get there an hour before sunrise!

P.S. You need to speed up your typing Rose! :lol: :lol: :lol:

S
Sgrunig90
Thanks everyone!

I went to St. Louis last weekend with my half brother. Fished pond 6 mostly, which lead to most luck.

Caught 3 6''-8'' hatchery trout, and a baby bass.

The methods I used was a bobber, with a 3ft of leader. Some salmon eggs above the hook and worm. I threw the line in current, to carry the bait slowly. The fish loved it.

I had several hits, yet only landed few fish.

Did see a 4lb trout pulled out, 5 feet from the shore.

I am going there with Drew on Sunday to fish for those 'huge' catfish/carp that are in there!

Stephen

troutdude
troutdude
Sgrunig90 said:
Did see a 4lb trout pulled out, 5 feet from the shore.

Nice report.

The most likely reason that a big one was caught near shore is this: they are used to hugging the sides of their holding tanks at the hatchery. They do that for cover from predators. So, they often do that when they are dropped into lakes, ponds and reservoirs; at least for the first few days.

The next time you know that big brooders have been dumped; fish close to the shorelines on both sides of your and work your way up and down the bank with that method. You'll be amazed at your success rate!