Fishing mentors, is/can this be a thing?

J
JimboSmith
As a kid a very long time ago I fished almost daily then life caught up and fishing went away. Now 40+ years later I’m wanting to get back into it. Thing is I need help. I am very interested in bass fishing and I’ve picked up a couple rods abs actually thrown a few cast but that’s it.
id really like to find somebody with the knowledge who just may be willing to help a fella out. Maybe meet up and show a fella the the ropes. I’m in Newberg and been out to the St Lois ponds and Huddleston pond in Willamina.
let me know what you think. Any interest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aervax
Aervax
I love nothing more than taking someone along fishing, sharing a couple of techniques, then watching them hit it out of the park. It can be funner than catching one myself. I would invite you to hit a couple spots together, but bass season is really winding down with local water temps dropping in the cold weather. Send me a PM in April to set up a bass get together. In the meantime I would hit OFFers up about trout or steelhead fishing. That is what's happening next in the cooler weather.

Reactions: JimboSmith
DOKF
DOKF
Looking at Mobius, I think you could also teach a thing or two about steelhead fishing!

Reactions: Aervax
Aervax
Aervax
Thanks for the compliment. I do catch a steelhead every once in a while, but they're not my regular thing. I have to work harder for them than I think most of the bullet heads on this site. I am sure there are more experienced and succesful steelheaders in closer proximity than me willing to help a guy out. Being on the mid Columbia I'm 3 hours plus away. But hey, if he doesn't mind driving that far to fish hard on the off chance of hooking a steelhead I am always game. When spring bass season arrives it's a different story. Then the drive distance to catch ratio should be worth it.

J
JimboSmith
Aervax said:
I love nothing more than taking someone along fishing, sharing a couple of techniques, then watching them hit it out of the park. It can be funner than catching one myself. I would invite you to hit a couple spots together, but bass season is really winding down with local water temps dropping in the cold weather. Send me a PM in April to set up a bass get together. In the meantime I would hit OFFers up about trout or steelhead fishing. That is what's happening next in the cooler weather.
That would be great. I’ll definitely hit you up and I would have no problem making a drive.
much appreciate!

C
cchinook
You need to be willing to drive , I did great on the Sandy this year . Springers in May , Summer steel
in July , coho in Sept. and winter steel coming soon.

C
cchinook
JimboSmith said:
That would be great. I’ll definitely hit you up and I would have no problem making a drive.
much appreciate!
P.M. me your phone number and I can point you in the right direction , what to bring ,
where to go , when to be there . I have been doing this for many , many years . Chinook ,
coho , steel . We could meet when the time comes to get started next year .

DOKF
DOKF
I've been a college instructor and industry mentor for the last few decades. One thing I've learnt that there is volumes to be said about "peer learning". Sometimes it is more effective the closer the mentor and disciple are in capability. An expert may not even think about the little things, or dismiss them as obvious.

Aervax, you would be a great mentor! :) As would anyone else on this forum!

Me? My star disciple is my 19 yo son. Unfortunately he doesn't listen much to me about academics. I'm closer to him in fishing, and we enjoy exploring and experimenting together.

Reactions: JimboSmith and Aervax