Fishing Log that never was

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think one of the biggest mistake that I have made with regards to fishing is not keeping a fishing log. If I had it to do all over again I would without a doubt keep a log of all the fishing trips. I think it would have been fun to read about past trips and have a record of what was used, what worked what didn't, catches and non catcht days. So if you are on the younger side and just starting out you might want to consider it. Now I have to rely on my memory for thing like green roostertails for lake Simtustus, Adams dries for Fish lake Steens Mts, scuds and prince nymphs for the Crooked River fished close to the bank. I suppose it's never too late to start! It's one of those things I didn't do that I would recomend for others. (I think there are probably lots of thing I don't do that I would recomend for otheres:lol:)

S
SmallStreams
Definitely never too late to start one!

I started a log this year since I'm exploring a lot of new territory (who'd a-thunk that the upper Willamette Valley streams are new to me even though I've lived in the Portland area for all of my 47 years?). Then I went one step further and started sticking pins in a map.

After a few trips, I've got a nice visual representation of where I've been and how well the trips worked out. One color of pin for "saw trout", one for "caught trout", one for "couldn't tell if trout live here", and one for "don't bother".

Irishrover
Irishrover
That a good procedure you have established. I think I'll start a log and make a section for the area I have fished and what I remember about them. Then have a new section for an actual log on the new trips.

T
Troutier Bassier
:rolleyes:
Ill get my Notebook.....
I Think its a great Idea but you have to write a lot.

What should I put
I think

Fish/Location/Structure-Cover/Bait-Lure/Time/Day/Moon Phase/ Scent/ Other Info.

S
SmallStreams
Having a BS degree in English, writing a lot is almost second nature...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Troutier Bassier said:
:rolleyes:
Ill get my Notebook.....
I Think its a great Idea but you have to write a lot.

What should I put
I think

Fish/Location/Structure-Cover/Bait-Lure/Time/Day/Moon Phase/ Scent/ Other Info.

That's a good start. Weather information and water condition (low and clear or high and not clear) would be good to add to the list. Also where you are catching them. For example close to the bank or in pocket water, or in a tail out. Anything that would be related to how you hooked fish. If I had started at your age I'd have logged my fishing trips to Johnson Creek back in the 50s and 60s. Then I could have had a good answer for one of the threads you started.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
All Weather Fishing Journal

All Weather Fishing Journal

I don't have the pouch, only the pad. The pages include all the catagories needed to make an entry easy; weather, water, hatches, fish caught, etc. What's cool is that you can write on it in the rain and won't ever smear.

Includes:<BR>Fishing Journal<BR>Black Pen<BR>Tan Cordura Pouch