Fishing line that does not tangle?

O
oregon
I have a cheap $15 fishing rod/reel spinning combo that I got at Fisherman's. It is great. I have caught lots of fish, and I have always been happy with it except for the tangling of the line. It may just be me, or it may happen with all setups, but the biggest annoyance I face is the line twirling and clinging to itself when it is not taught. Then when I reel in, I have to hold my hand against the line to untangle or else the spool will get really tangled. This happens whenever it is not tight.

Do you guys also have this problem? Would better line/reel solve still do this?

I've always just been a casual fisherman, but I really enjoy it, so I'm considering upgrading; especially if I could get a setup that does not tangle.

S
SNDSLGR
Fishing with spinners attatched to your mainline can do that but likely your line was put on your reel wrong. Take the reel into fishermans and ask them to put some Maxim Ultra-green line on it with the machine. It will only cost a few bucks and solve your problem.

O
oregon
Is the maxim green the bright green line that the fish can see? I used to have a rod like that but it was really annoying because you always had to attach clear line to the end.

Also, would the maxima green get "staticy" and twist upon itself as it ages? I only fish 1-2 times a year, so my rod spends a lot of time just sitting between each use.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
if you are using a spin reel, I would use trilene... maxima is great stuff but if you are usually out drownin worms just to relax once in a while trilene will treat u better Disclaimer: ok guys dont thrash me, im not dissing the max, it can just be a little tough on a guy out of a spin caster, sometimes the cheaper line is nicer off the old spin rod.

1aB
Even after 50 years of throwing a spinning reel, still no simple solution to the problem of line tangles. But, I've noticed that the following can help:
1. Larger diameter reel spools
2. Lighter line
3. Limp mono like Trilene XL
4. Heavier sinkers & lures - to assist keeping line tight on the retrieve
5. Retrieve technique - avoid bouncing rod which can create loose line slack
6. Reels that wind line evenly on the spool top to bottom
7. Per "SNDSLGR" machine winding new line fill ups
8. Longer rods with limber tips & more guides to buffer slack

Of course theres usually a trade off involved, for example larger diameter reel spools usually mean a bigger heavier reel, and lighter limper lines might be more prone to breakoffs. I think it might be time for a rod a reel upgrade as a starting point.

edit: unless you limit yourself to certain species/water conditions, you'll probably be more comfortable with several outfits. For example, a balanced stocker trout dunking outfit - 2500 reel with 6# test top shot over backing, 7' light rod, - might manage for light bass, catfish, or surf perch duty, but would probably be inadequate for more demanding river or jetty species & conditions. Right now, I've got 1500, 2000, 2500, 4000, 4500, & 8500 spinning outfits each with a specific purpose.

In other words, too heavy line on a too small reel, for example 10# test on a 1500 reel, will probably have handling problems.

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
halibuthitman said:
if you are using a spin reel, I would use trilene... maxima is great stuff but if you are usually out drownin worms just to relax once in a while trilene will treat u better Disclaimer: ok guys dont thrash me, im not dissing the max, it can just be a little tough on a guy out of a spin caster, sometimes the cheaper line is nicer off the old spin rod.
I use 8-12 Max UG on my spinning reels never have problems. The only time it represents any kind of issue is when I overfill the spool!

K
kornphlake
I've got the same problems with an older Shakespeare spinning reel and 4# Trilene XL, I've been fishing worms and spinners about 50/50 but seem to get tangles that force me to cut 20-30 yards every other time I go out fishing. I was careful to wind the spool so that the line wasn't twisting and I always use a swivel to minimize the amount of twisting a spinner may do. Still it's become pretty frustrating to get all set for fishing, make a couple casts then spend another 10 minutes cutting the tangled line and re-tying the tackle.

Is it just the nature of a spinning reel that the line gets twisted? Aside from properly winding the spool and using a swivel is there anything else that can be done to minimize twisting aside from buying a new reel?

H
halibuthitman
I agree with kodiak, I never have problems, anymore... but I also use mustad swivels, trilene and always cast upstream and rarely let it swing through the tailout becoming very tight, and I NEVER troll with my mono EVER...

K
Kodiak
HE HEHE HE HEE HE....I NEVER use braid. I run mono on everything. Spinners, drifting, plunking, trolling. It has superior performance when trolling spinners, herring, or light line for low water steelies and coho. About the only thing braid might have an advantage is bobber fishing, but that only if I don't have a dry fly patch on my person.

H
halibuthitman
yep, wouldn't know cause I would never be using anything but yarn with a flyrod in low water steelhead, and I don't pull plugs or spinners.. so you got me there.... but for a sometimes fisherman I would recommend the lowest maintanance line with the least worries.. and I have seen hundreds of yards of maxima cut off spinreels cause the owners couldn't deal with it.

T
Troutier Bassier
"The line you can see is the Line you can throw."
- Bill Dance or someone

H
halibuthitman
ok.... you got me, what does that gem mean? sounds like yogi Berra to me_

T
Troutier Bassier
If the line is higly visible to you, the fish can't see it.

for example

cajun line its freakin red! but you can't see it in the water.

1aB
"kornphlake", 4# test XL is about as user friendly as line gets - it would require serious talent to tangle! Seriously, I would suspect your "older" reel as the culprit - is the line sitting on the spool bulging in an area as opposed to being evenly wound top to bottom? If so, line winding onto the spool during retrieve could slip from a high to low spot forming a loose loop which could cause an excessive amount of line to exit the spool at the same time on a cast often in a tangled bundle. The first retrieve coil onto the reel after the bail flips over after a cast is also notoriously prone to be loose looped.

When I examine a spinning reel, the absolute main first thing I check is if the vertical oscillation (up & down movement) of the spool is sufficient to coil line fully top to bottom on the spool. For example, if the spool has a vertical line capacity of 2" and it oscillates only 1 -1/2" then the almost 1/2" of spool that the line roller on the bail cannot directly guide line onto might tend to fill up with slipped loose coils. An efficient way to check for spool winding coverage is to turn the handle of a (spinning) reel at eye level and examine where the bottom of the line roller will lay line on the spool as it oscillates and the rotor turns. Value price reels(of which I am a fan) seldom have well balanced oscillation but one can pick the best available within their price range.

edited: for clarity

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
10 post...

10 post...

Look at the ten post and read again and then look at the member posting them and reference them on other threads and see who is catching the most fish and go with that line and set up...that is a benefit of a fishing forum; information is power. I don't think that would offend any one here, use the information presented by all our members and learn from their monstrous combined time on the water and fish in the freezer.
As far as line not twisting on a spinning reel, well if you or anyone else discover's or finds a line that doesn't twist, has no memory, doesn't spook fish and is cheap.
Become a sales rep, I would be first in line.:cool: I do like fluorocarbon line for my leader material, but like all things that work I am sure some one will find some thing about this stuff that is toxic or causes water to turn to rum. It is a very nice leader material, you don't have it on the reel long enough to twist and it is invisible in clear water - while reeling my lure in I watch my lure the last 15 feet of so and with this stuff - the lure looks like it is floating free:cool:

Chuck

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
You might try closing your bail by hand instead of turning the handle, the bail on older reels will sometimes catch the lin and spin it as the bail closes. Sounds too simple but it may not be your line at all.