Fishing kayak suggestions

HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
I'm looking for suggestions on a fishing kayak. i know there's tons of options/price ranges but I would like to keep it $800 or less. Considering the EMOTION Stealth Pro. Let me know what you guys think.

C_Run
C_Run
Those look nice and stable, the seat looks interesting. We've been kayak fishing for 9 years now and have stuck with Ocean Kayak Tridents so that is what I am used to. We have five now. I don't want a pedal-type. I like having the "rod pod" right in front of me where you can put your rod holder in several positions rather than off to the side. It looks like the Emotion is made for standing which is something I have never tried yet. As far as pricing goes, there is always someone "upgrading" to pedal kayaks so if you are patient and want a deal, look for a good used one. They often come already rigged with accessories you're going to end up buying later. I just got a used T-11 with hardly a scratch on it for $550 and it had a $300 fish finder that came with it plus a paddle. I'd also suggest trying one out first to see if it is comfortable and What you have in mind. The dealers usually have a way for you to demo their products. Craigslist and NWKA would be sources to look for used kayaks. (An old picture and my original 11' tub and newer 13')

Last edited:
Reactions: rogerdodger and troutdude
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
do you have an idea of what locations and type of fishing you plan to primarily use this kayak for? that can be really helpful to avoid ending up with a 'Miata' when in fact an 'SUV' is better suited for you.

Reactions: LazyBrewer
bass
bass
I agree with @rogerdodger , the type of fishing helps to narrow the field.

Some general tradeoffs. The wider the kayak the more stable but the less efficient it will be to paddle. If you are planning on trolling by paddling or going long distances then a longer and slightly narrower model (like the Tridents @C_Run mentions are about as good as you can get).

Having hatches in the front, center and back does not just provide internal storage access but access for reaching inside to install extra rod holders or tracks or whatever. Not necessary but depending upon how much modification you plan on it can be nice.

Weight capacity is another. Are you a minimalist or an "everything but the kitchen sink" guy. I am the latter and weigh 215 to start. The capacity of the Emotion is 375lbs. Just take a second to think if that is enough.

The other suggestion (if you live in the Portland area) would be to go to Next Adventure and either rent one or ask for a demo of one or two that look good. It used to be if you rented and then bought they subtracted the rental price from the cost of the kayak. FInding one that you like the seat of is important on those long days.

HombreLibro85
HombreLibro85
rogerdodger said:
do you have an idea of what locations and type of fishing you plan to primarily use this kayak for? that can be really helpful to avoid ending up with a 'Miata' when in fact an 'SUV' is better suited for you.
trout mostly in lakes, at least until i can upgrade to some river trips
looking to do some slight mods but nothing crazy

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
HombreLibro85 said:
trout mostly in lakes, at least until i can upgrade to some river trips
looking to do some slight mods but nothing crazy

excellent, you are getting really good advice here from C_run and Bass, and I bet you are going to love catching fish from a kayak. My only advice, triggered here by a recent drowning on the coast, is to always wear a PFD, and there are some good kayak fishing PFDs that are basically a fishing vest with floatation. Don't carry it, wear it.

The way I see it, and I go some crazy places on my kayaks, a PFD is sort of like body armor. That one moment in time, it can save you or give you the ability to try and help someone else in distress. That moment, it just freakin' needs to be on. Sorry, no do-overs. So it is on all the time.

Reactions: fromthelogo, pinstriper and playhooky
P
pinstriper
I agree with everything C-run, Bass, and Roger have said, but would like to know more about the future aspirations around river fishing. What rivers, what fish, what parts of those rivers ?

Also consider the weight of the boat and how you will transport, launch and recover it. A fully loaded Hobie Outback will run about 120#, but that's not so easy to move very far by hand, even with a cart. Banks and boat ramps are pretty steep when you are hauling back from the water.

And you won't always have a second pair of hands to help load it on the roof of your car, etc.