Fishing in Sunriver end of August

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Looking for recommendations to throw hardware from the bank close to Sunriver early in the morning while the family sleeps in. Summer steelhead is preferred but I'm not going to be picky.

B
BrandonBeach
Fall River.

Take the trail upstream from the parking lot. Check the regs, artificial lures only I believe.

BB

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks guys! What size spinners, and spoons? Rooster tails? I imagine the water is clear so darker colors (black), tarnished brass the brightest?

B
BrandonBeach
If your fishing spinning gear, think small and deep. Small nymph patterns or grub like lures. Stealth and a true dead drift, bobber and dropper kind of thing should work. Approach stealthy from downstream, cast upstream keep your lure deep and drift it the same speed as the current. Don’t try fishing with a down stream approach, the Fall River is clear and the trout will see you and spook. This river is stocked, so check the ODFW planting schedule. Fun river.

Good luck.

foam-is-home
foam-is-home
BrandonBeach said:
Fall River.

Take the trail upstream from the parking lot. Check the regs, artificial lures only I believe.

BB
I thought fall river is fly fishing only - could be wrong, but worth looking into

B
BrandonBeach
I just looked it up, the Fall River is fly fishing only. Barbless hooks.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
BrandonBeach said:
I just looked it up, the Fall River is fly fishing only. Barbless hooks.
I also read Fall river is fly only as well.
What weight rod should I take, thinking what I'd take to fish at Hagg lake?

B
BrandonBeach
Hooked Up said:
I also read Fall river is fly only as well.
What weight rod should I take, thinking what I'd take to fish at Hagg lake?

4 or 5, 5

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Planning on taking my ultralight rods unless you think Big D trout will over power them.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Theres some 5lb plus browns in the Deschutes

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
GaryP1958 said:
Theres some 5lb plus browns in the Deschutes

Gary, I'll also take my ML rod. Thanks.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I went twice for a couple hours each time. No fish pictures to share unfortunately. Hit Big River campground, also two spots OFF NF 600 one of which is where float tubers get picked up?

What a beautiful part of the State!