Fishing in December

P
Poonboy182
Well first off I live in Texas and my mom has just transfered jobs to Eugene and purchased a house on the Mckenzie River. I have never been trout/steel head fishing before but Im extreamly excited to try it out. Although I am quit the avid saltwater fisherman here on the Texas coast. Mostly fly fishing and thats what Im looking forward to doing. I am a sales associate at the Orvis here in Houston and the first thing I would like to do is build a fly box. Ive got almost an unlimited selection of flys at my finger tips but for late November through early January is when I will be up there. Is there a select few flys that really stand out that I should not leave home without when I come up there for that time frame? In all honesty i'll just be happy to get out of Houston and enjoy the weather and environment there along with the satisfaction of hooking into some steelhead or rainbow trout. Any advice would be extreamly appreciated. And I can't wait for November to come!
:D

M
Mike123
Oh man I've visited Texas for the summer. Talk about HOT and HUMID!

Be ready for some COLD fishing in the winter. Iced up rod guides not uncommon. :D

Beautiful area down on the Mckenize! Congrats!

R
RIVERFISHER
Poonboy182 said:
Well first off I live in Texas and my mom has just transfered jobs to Eugene and purchased a house on the Mckenzie River. I have never been trout/steel head fishing before but Im extreamly excited to try it out. Although I am quit the avid saltwater fisherman here on the Texas coast. Mostly fly fishing and thats what Im looking forward to doing. I am a sales associate at the Orvis here in Houston and the first thing I would like to do is build a fly box. Ive got almost an unlimited selection of flys at my finger tips but for late November through early January is when I will be up there. Is there a select few flys that really stand out that I should not leave home without when I come up there for that time frame? In all honesty i'll just be happy to get out of Houston and enjoy the weather and environment there along with the satisfaction of hooking into some steelhead or rainbow trout. Any advice would be extreamly appreciated. And I can't wait for November to come!
:D

im not to into flyfishing but a lot of peeps use little egg patterns.. seem to do pretty good also..

P
Poonboy182
Oh I wasn't sure if these were fly fishing forums or not. Im just looking to have a good time up there for my first few days going. Eventually Ill be traveling a lot to my moms house. From what I have researched a little bit the dry fly wont be so hot since the weather and water temp are cold. So I have to go off the bottom with nymphs or egg patterns. Can anyone confirm on any of this? Thanks so much in advance!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Riverfront property is the best!

Riverfront property is the best!

Poonboy182 said:
Oh I wasn't sure if these were fly fishing forums or not. Im just looking to have a good time up there for my first few days going. Eventually Ill be traveling a lot to my moms house. From what I have researched a little bit the dry fly wont be so hot since the weather and water temp are cold. So I have to go off the bottom with nymphs or egg patterns. Can anyone confirm on any of this? Thanks so much in advance!

Poonboy182;
Welcome to the best fishing forum west of the Pecos! Well,and east of it,too. Wow,a house right on one of our best rivers,that is so cool! Speaking of cool,don't forget your warm clothes. The weather is nice right now,but it will be changing to very chilly very soon. Sorry,I am no help with what flies to use as I still haven't gotten around to trying my own fly gear out. However,we have a bunch of fly flingers on board. Be patient,they'll find your thread soon and flood you with info. In the meantime,snoop around and make yourself comfortable. Again,welcome to our lil family.

O
Outdrsmn
Well sory to say those are the worst months to fish the mckenzie.......it will be a nymph game...if its a semi nice day you might see a blue winged olive hatch come off, but i doubt it. Fish low in the iver and it will be a nympg game...prince nymphs posse buggers and hare ears..

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Nice to have you on board...we do in fact have a Fly Fishing Forum...check it out and make a post. Most of the anglers on that forum will be more than happy to lend a hand. Tight lines and again welcome..

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Poonboy182 said:
Hey Poonboy, Welcome to the Forum! In addition to the information you'll get from the McKenzie locals and members on this forum, here's a site that you should keep in your favorites. Living on the river?? You lucky dog!

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Wow that's a great site, tons of good info for lots and lots of rivers.

P
Poonboy182
Its somewhat unfortunate that the earliest I can get up there would be in December. At this point I am trying to make the best of it with the time I will have up there. Would I have a better time trout fishing at this time, or can I still be productive prospectig for steelhead? Im taking 2 rods with me so I can do both. Thanks for all the advice so far it helps a lot!
-Cole-