Fishing in a river closed to bait

T
TXfishingguy
What would you use? This river (Salmon River) is closed to bait.

Would jigs,corkie, corkie with yarn or just yarn be good things to use under a float? Could I dip the corkie in a thing of eggs to get the scent or is that illegal?

Also, what color corkies/yarn are good if the water is clear and low?

Sorry for all the questions...still a noob.

Y
youngbuck307
um under a float run a jig but best to drift yarnball corkies and that stuff. normaly i drift corkie and little pice of yarn. with water how it is go dark with everything...maybe a hint of red but normally black and pirple right now works good.... just make sure to keep it small and dark

H
here2fish
yah what young buck said small dark jigs.

and scent is ok

direct quote from odfw regs

Bait Any item used to attract fish which is not an artificial fly or a lure. Molded soft plastic or rubber imitation worms,
eggs, or other imitation baits are considered bait. Scent is not considered bait.

K
Kodiak
IF we are talking he salmon river off the sandy I'm running just yarn and a couple of splitshot. Jigs work well under a float, and drifted for coho.

T
TXfishingguy
Thanks guys!

Kodiak,
you just put a couple split shot above your leader and then run a leader with an egg loop and some yarn?

And are there coho in that river right now or even the sandy?

Am staying in a house in welches and while my parents are relaxing i will be out fishing.

Last edited:
H
here2fish
no silvers that high. summer steel and some old springers. As far as the sandy alltogether I would say a pilot run or two of coho have made it but not enough to start targeting.

kodiak: youve been up here hitting the salmon(river)???

K
Kodiak
TXfishingguy said:
Thanks guys!

Kodiak,
you just put a couple split shot above your leader and then run a leader with an egg loop and some yarn?

And are there coho in that river right now or even the sandy?

Am staying in a house in welches and while my parents are relaxing i will be out fishing.

No silvers up there yet..some summers though...i would do it just like you said.

H2F>>>>not lately..but thats how i would be fishing it...been burried under B10 orders...had one guy pay an "emergency" fee on top of overnight delivery charges just cause he saw someone drill a decent nook on one of my spinners..your order will go out monday or tues.

H
here2fish
Kodiak said:
No silvers up there yet..some summers though...i would do it just like you said.

H2F>>>>not lately..but thats how i would be fishing it...been burried under B10 orders...had one guy pay an "emergency" fee on top of overnight delivery charges just cause he saw someone drill a decent nook on one of my spinners..your order will go out monday or tues.

ok ok.... as long as there here by coho time, 10% discount per week right;)

hehehehehe

M
Mike123
You can run a fixed weight drift rig with float.

Slide up bobber stop, then float, then tie swivel and slinky to match the float size, then 1/ 1/2ft. to 3ft. of leader to yarn ball. Keep your slinky just barely ticking bottom every few feet. ;)

H
here2fish
Mike123 said:

Slide up bobber stop, then float, then tie swivel and slinky to match the float size, then 1/ 1/2ft. to 3ft. of leader to yarn ball. Keep your slinky just barely ticking bottom every few feet. ;)

yah you can. But with the appropriate weight and a traditional drift rig you will achieve a much more natural drift.

M
Mike123
here2fish said:
yah you can. But with the appropriate weight and a traditional drift rig you will achieve a much more natural drift.

How do you figure it's any different? :think:

For a "noob" this is way easier.

Last edited:
H
here2fish
Mike123 said:
How do you figure it's any different? :think:

For a "noob" this is way easier.

yah your right.

easier for a noob.

Just throwing my opinion in ;)

it is a bit different though , there are different current speeds at surface and bottom (where your are most likely fishing) when your float is on top going a different speed than your goods you are either pulling your offering along with your float or slowing it down because of a difference in current speed. This is why drift fishing is so deadly, achieve the perfect speed and presentation and it'll get em every time!

Last edited:
T
TXfishingguy
Mike123 said:

So, is my main line connected to the swivel with the weight hanging down from it and then do i tie my leader to the swivel also? Sorry for all the questions...

C
catphish
yes your main line and your leader tie to the same eye of the swivel on opposite sides, then your weight, presumably a slinky, is hung on the snap side of swivel for easy adjustment of weights. If you type drift rigging into the OFF search engine, you will find a ton of stuff. I specifically remember one post with a detail photo of the rigging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pita
A
Anyfishisfine
Kodiak said:
had one guy pay an "emergency" fee on top of overnight delivery charges just cause he saw someone drill a decent nook on one of my spinners..

That's a hell of an endorsement of your product though.

T
Troutier Bassier
Spinners.

K
Kodiak
Anyfishisfine said:
That's a hell of an endorsement of your product though.

Word is getting around now and messing up my fishing time:lol:...I'm just hoping my next shipment of blades and bodies shows up before word gets out that minis slam coho too....I've got three bulk orders to put out for minis and its gonna be cutting it close.

A
Anyfishisfine
Kodiak said:
Word is getting around now and messing up my fishing time:lol:...I'm just hoping my next shipment of blades and bodies shows up before word gets out that minis slam coho too....I've got three bulk orders to put out for minis and its gonna be cutting it close.

I've been meaning to get my order in for Coho season, I better get on it I think. Decisions, decisions.

P
Pita
if you want to see a killer video of a great drift set-up, i would VERY highly recommend checking out steelhead_stalkers' website. you can see exactly what these guys are talking about. three thumbs up for their entire site!! :clap:

T
Troutier Bassier
Is Free drifting Deadly? Drift-Fishin with only a hook and Bait? And If Its a little more Deep, A few Pinch Wieghts.