Fishing getting better behind Irrigon Oregon hatchery

lizardman

The Irrigon Oregon fish hatchery is a great place to fish the Columbia River here in eastern Oregon (they even have a fishing dock set up for disabled and elderly).

Tuesday afternoon I watched many people get take downs/ bites and cracker them (lose them), but I also saw two nice Coho hens caught (25 and 27 inch respectively).

The hens were caught on roe floating under a bobber, and some of the pickups were on jigs (pink, or purple were the colors with one being black with white spots).

The numbers are good, and these fish were caught in the middle of the day when the tempuratures were up and I know the fishing is better there early morning or later in the evening.

Hope to see some of you over here getting some of the Chinook, Coho, or Steelhead that run through.

Dave

lizardman

I am seeing the most fish right behind the hatcheries with some being pulled between the hatchery and grain elevator. Also mornings are good right behind McNary dam at the parkinglot for the boat ramp (bobber and shrimp there is all I have seen used) for steelhead (eight caught Tues morn before 10:00 about 1/2 native).

Dave

Top Bottom