Fishing for trout in streams and creeks near Portland

U
uintaangler
I am in the process of moving from the Seattle area to Portland. Although I will surely miss my lovely view of Puget Sound, the trout fishing around here ( with the possible exception of SeaRuns ) is kind of a pain. One must drive for 2-3 hours to get to a nice stream or small river and then spend your day catching 6-9" fish.
How far will I have to drive from Portland to find myself on a pretty stream or small river with the probability of catching trout that are in the 12" - 16" range.
If you would prefer to answer via PM, I understand.
Not asking you to reveal the location of your favorite, little known fishing spots, just trying to get a sense of what my new reality will be like
Thanks.

Aervax
Aervax
Portland to Deschutes river is a couple of hours-ish, depending on what stretch of the river you're fishing. Same for Klickitat River on the WA side. Both have great trout fishing. Both have salmon and world class steelhead. I would go a half hour further once in a while and catch 100 smallmouth bass in a day on the John Day River. That is all east of Portland up I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge. Other options in all directions out of Portland as well. I am sure some of the guys in the other areas will chime in.

Reactions: uintaangler
U
uintaangler
Thanks for the response

U
Ultramepps
I would explore Hood River area. Closer and you can have some fun catching some nice cutthroat on the East Fork Hood river. There's a Fly shop in town with good info and many Breweries.... Cheers..

U
uintaangler
A lot to like here: closer, cutts, hops!
Thanks

S
Socaaron
do you have a float tube or other small floatation craft? There's some other options that open up with those

U
Ultramepps
uintaangler said:
A lot to like here: closer, cutts, hops!
Thanks
We have Double Mountain. Full Sail. And Phriem killer brews. .. ....

U
uintaangler
Socaaron said:
do you have a float tube or other small floatation craft? There's some other options that open up with those

No floatation craft :(

portlandrain
portlandrain
Also go west of Portland toward the coast. The majority of coastal rivers hold cutthroat. Two with easier access would be the Wilson off highway 6 and the Nehalem off highway 26. Size can be good but the majority will be smaller. Definitely smaller than when I was a kid based on recent experience.

I don't fly fish, but a lot of those might be better if you do cause the close quarters.

O
olshiftybiscuits
I've been hunting for the same thing since I moved to town. You can drive 75-90 minutes and really work hard for fish that'll average 5-8 inches, with the very occasional trout 12 inches or over. Or you can go an extra half hour/45 minutes to the Deschutes, Santiam or McKenzie, which are both stacked fisheries that are enough of a challenge to make you better every time you go.

Personally, I've yet to find a consistent spot within an hour/hour and a half of Portland proper. I've spent a lot of time bushwacking, trying to find my way around private property, and trying to find productive holes -- which equates to a lot less time with your flies in the water, figuring out which techniques work and which hatches to match. It's frustrating because it feels like there should be a gem or two closer to home, but the big rivers proximal to Portland are dominated by anadromous fish and the creeks are either stressed by the growth of human population or have super steep gradients that make it hard for trout to thrive.

O
olshiftybiscuits
FYI, East Fork Hood River probably isn't what you're looking for. It's shallow, sandy and fast. If you want to dab dries behind rocks for 8 inch fish, there are plenty of creeks to explore on Mount Hood. But you won't find anything over 12 inches with any consistency. The Collowash has been my favorite so far. There are also a couple good holes that hold larger fish on the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas where it enters Lake Harriet, but we're talking like two fishable bank spots that are usually occupied.

E
elkling
It's not a creek or stream but Pine Hollow Reservoir on the east side of Mt Hood is excellent. I have consistantly caught 10 to 14 in trout there with an occasional larger one. There are fish caught there that you weigh by the pound rather than measuring in inches. If you are set on fishing streams or rivers, the Deschutes is nearby where I hear that they catch the Red Banded Trout with considerable size. Don't quote me on that name as I am not sure I got that right.

D
Davpot
Id recommend getting a copy of “Fishing in Oregon”. A great starting place. Tread Lightly….😇