Fishing for shad from a boat..

S
skifish
I use to go fishing for shad from the bank at Bonneville dam. but this year i got the boat. does anyone fish for shad from a boat? any info will help. Thank you!!!

T
the_intimidator03
I have seen people fish from a boat for shad on the mainstem umpqua. It looks as if they back bounce down the run. Sorry no pertinant info on the columbia

S
skifish
Thank you !

F
fishnquest
Boat is anchored in the river. 30ft of sinking fly line in front of backing; on a light rod and small baitcaster. 2 ft or so of 4lb fluouro leader. Shad dart or small jig or barbell. Let it out. If you don't get a fish, move your boat sideways in the river. Look for a seam. Shad will travel in a straight line. Thats the way I have done it. Fly rod works too. I do not know the Columbia. Good luck.

S
skifish
Thanks !!!

R
ryemery
You can fish them in the willamette also. Little dicknite pink and white works well with a spreader and some weight.

C
cchinook
shad

shad

Gilbert Boat ramp --- Coon Island - Sauvie Island -- can not keep them off !!

F
fishy4
i am taking someone shad fishing from the bank for the first time tommorow. would like to stay close to oregon city. what would be a good bank fishing approach? casting and retrieving or still fishing? thanks

S
skifish
Thanks...

B
Bullitt
You can also use a small jet diver in lieu of the spreader/weight. I've used Shad darts from cabelas and they work well. Gold hooks are essential imo. Good luck.