Fishing for peamouths today

S
sirsnagalot
So today I went out to Sauvies Island and caught 14 peamouths... they are spawning right now so if you just want to fish go out there and hook them. I was at the gilbert river on the bank between the boat ramp and the handicap dock. I was only out there for about 2 hours and it was pretty much non-stop for me. I recommend using a light action rod and 2 ounce weight with worms since the river is moving pretty fast.

Reactions: Markcanby
T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah I did that about 2 weeks ago and caught a few. Pretty fun.

N
nwkiller
great post!

T
TTFishon
How big do peamouths get?

S
sirsnagalot
I'm not sure how big they get, but the ones that have been most common to me are around 9 - 14 inches. The larger ones give a decent fight on light tackle similar to trout i'd say.

T
TTFishon
Cool. Sounds like fun. :)

troutdude
troutdude
I have not heard of Peamouths before. Just wondering...could they have been Northern Pikeminnows? Here is the way to tell them apart from each other. If they are Pikeminnows, you can probably make money catching them!

S
sirsnagalot
These were peamouths, usually can tell by the size of the mouth because they well are about the size of peas compared to the northern pikeminnows who have a larger mouth.

troutdude
troutdude
OK. Thanks for your reply. I wonder if I have caught some in my "career", and have misidentified the lil' buggers? Thanks for your thread and species education.

BTW, your screen name is great!

S
sirsnagalot
Thanks, yea if you ever go fishing with me you'll see that I get snagged on everything in the water haha

J
JAFO
Thanks, now I don't have to say, "What in the hell is a Peamouth"?

C
cookshot
The only one I've ever caught had a really dark red stripe down the middle. I could definitely tell it wasn't a squaw

Reactions: Markcanby
T
Troutier Bassier
The ones with dark red stripes down the middle are still peamouth, they just have spawning color I believe. Not totally sure though.