Fishing for Macs

P
pathfinder
Looking for some info on what is used for mac fishing. Im looking to go after some big macsat some eastern lakes and need some help with what kind of rods ,reels ,line , plugs , ,, any info would help ,,, Thanks :)

T
Thuggin4Life
helps to have a downrigger. or you can try jigging. seen thid girl get a 29"er at cresent this march. 130 feet of water at 100is feet trolling a j plug. j plug? looked like a popper for bass. I suggest a heavier rod and a big reel with heavier line. maybe go to odell and jig around the underwater mountian?

P
pathfinder
re

re

I have down riggers but need to pick up some gear ..:)

S
Stormy
At Odell Lake I hooked up a MAC with a K-14 (silver with red dots) trolling aprox. 120 ft with deep six diver. The pole was a Berkley AIR 7 heavy casting with a Shimano Tekota 500 LC spooled with 65lb tuffline. The 5000 ft altitude made my boat run rich. Good luck.

T
Thuggin4Life
How big was that mac? Hard to tell from the pic. Also I have some deep six divers and not sure how they work. 120' do you just let out more line and the diver just goes deeper?

S
Stormy
Well the Mac was only 30.5". Small but it was my first Mac. When trolling with the boat at the speed 1-11/2 mph, I let out the diver and reset my line counter just as it starts to dive. My sonar showed the depth of the diver. I think it was about 120ft. There was about 240 ft of line out.Down riggers would be better if I had them. Would like to go back to Odell Lake but I need to know how to get the boat to run better at 5000ft. I was told to change prop size instead of rejetting the 150hp Merc?

T
Thuggin4Life
That's still a big fish. I thought it looked small but there is no reference point othere than the round thing in the backround that I am unsure of what it is. so with those deep sixes the more line you let out the deeper the go? As for the motor I have the same problem with my little 6 horse. I have to pop the top and stick an allen head in the motor while its running to play with the rich/lean. but it only helps a little bit. My buddy used to have to change something in his quad before going up to high elevations. Can't remember what it was but he had one for down here and one for up there.

Last edited:
P
platteflyfisher
The ugly Macs

The ugly Macs

Best way is to hit bottom with a piece of legal meat on your jig. Record size can always be had. Good luck

G
GoneFishin2134
Nice fish. Never caught a Mac in my Life! I might be able to help with your "Elevation problem". I ride Dirtbikes and quads a lot. Own 2 quads and 1 bike, anyways.

I could tell you, but this will be much easier for you. It is the same thing, unless you have a 4-stroke motor. Which is that case in a million times easier than jetting a 2-stroke. Since they are so finicky. Well here you go. Hope this Helps!

B
BIG D
pathfinder said:
Looking for some info on what is used for mac fishing. Im looking to go after some big macsat some eastern lakes and need some help with what kind of rods ,reels ,line , plugs , ,, any info would help ,,, Thanks :)

You can always try Cultus lake it's a little bit of a drive But well worth it. Make sure you have a boat if you go to any of the eastern lakes, the water is so clear you have to wait till the lakes get a little choppy before they start biting the locals call it the mac chop and we caught 35lbs of fish using med size cow bells with 4oz wght on the rudder and a 18" leader with a big fat worm, our steel head poles, and 12lb line, trolling at 60 to 80 feet deep and dont forget the cooler!!!!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Thuggin4Life
I always thought that to keep a mac it had to be over 30". Did they change some regs recently or is there some little mac lakes?

B
BIG D
Thuggin4Life said:
I always thought that to keep a mac it had to be over 30". Did they change some regs recently or is there some little mac lakes?

Taken from ODFW reg book Cultus Lake (Deschutes Co.) • Trout daily catch limit may include only 1 lake trout, which must be at least 8-inch
minimum length.

Machinaw,and Lake Trout are considered the same and at Cultus reg states that you can retain 2 over 20" but no more than 5 total in 1 day

never heard of a 30" min on macs

T
Thuggin4Life
BIG D said:
Taken from ODFW reg book Cultus Lake (Deschutes Co.) • Trout daily catch limit may include only 1 lake trout, which must be at least 8-inch
minimum length.

Machinaw,and Lake Trout are considered the same and at Cultus reg states that you can retain 2 over 20" but no more than 5 total in 1 day

never heard of a 30" min on macs

Those regs contradict eah other. 1 a day or 2 a day or 5 a day? which is it?

B
BIG D
Thuggin4Life said:
Those regs contradict eah other. 1 a day or 2 a day or 5 a day? which is it?

Dude:lol::lol::lol: you can have a total of 5 fish but only 1 can be over 20"
at Cultus the regulation that is posted at the marina said you can have a total of 5 fish but only 2 can be over 20" so it must mean that ODFW is allowing anglers to retain 1 more than the general regulation
and the min size is 8" not 30". mackinaw are lake trout

T
Thuggin4Life
DUDE

BIG D said:
• Trout daily catch limit may include only 1 lake trout, , which must be at least 8-inch
minimum length.

PERIOD. I know at crecsent and odell its one a day and it has to be 30" minimum. And the central zone only allows 1 20" plus trout a day. I just checked my reg book. Not sure about this sign you read. Northeast zone: Wallowa lake allows 5 trout a day including lakers with no size limit. Just be carefull about keeping fish without fully reading/understanding the regs.

Last edited:
B
BIG D
Thuggin4Life said:
DUDE

PERIOD. I know at crecsent and odell its one a day and it has to be 30" minimum. And the central zone only allows 1 20" plus trout a day. I just checked my reg book. Not sure about this sign you read. Northeast zone: Wallowa lake allows 5 trout a day including lakers with no size limit. Just be carefull about keeping fish without fully reading/understanding the regs.

don't know what your problem is but I really don't care about other lakes I was talking about Cultus lake, and yes 5 FISH 1 CAN ONLY BE OVER 20" how many times do I need to say it, I was not disputing that FACT and I did READ THE REG BOOK maybe some one needs more reading comprehension
Description:
The Central Zone is all waters draining into the Columbia River from Bonneville Dam up to and including the Deschutes River.
Instructions:
1. Read the Special Regulations for this zone. Special Regulations apply to specific bodies of water or portions of water within a
zone. If specific references to a body of water, species, catch limits, length limits, seasons, or other specifications are not made in
the Special Regulations for this zone, then Zone Regulations apply.
2. Read the following Regulations for this zone.
3. Always read the General Regulations, pages 3-9, which apply to all zones, for information about licenses; tags and permits;
definitions; catch and possession limits; gear and bait restrictions; and harvest methods and hours, before going fishing.
4. Emergency or permanent rules adopted since these rules were printed may supersede these regulations. Anglers may call ODFW
headquarters or regional offices at the numbers on page 2 of these regulations, or check the ODFW web site, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
for these rules, or call 503‑947‑6001, 24 hours a day.
Regulations for this zone:
Angling for all species is restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions under Special Regulations where use of bait
is allowed.
Species Name Catch Limits Length Limits and Other Specifications Season
Trout Lakes: 5 per day,
2 daily limits in
possession.
Streams: 2 per
day, 2 daily limits
in possession.
• 8-inch minimum length.
• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• No limit on size or number of brook trout from streams.
• Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
• Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon,
which are always considered salmon regardless of size.
• Closed to angling for bull trout except as noted under Special
Regulations.
• Kokanee included in trout limits except as noted under Special
Regulations.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions
under Special Regulations where use of bait is allowed.
Lakes: Open all
year.
Streams: Open
May 23-Oct. 31
Salmon and
Steelhead
In the aggregate:
2 adult salmon or
steelhead per day,
20 per year. 5 jack
salmon per day, 2
daily jack limits in
possession, with
the exception that
one additional
adipose finclipped
steelhead
may be retained
per day for a
total aggregate
of 3 adult fish
harvested daily.
• Closed for coho salmon, except for coho salmon as listed under
the Deschutes River (Sections 1 and 2) and adipose fin-marked
coho salmon as listed under Eagle Creek, Herman Creek and Hood
River.
• Only adipose fin-clipped steelhead may be taken.
• See Special Regulations in Central Zone under Deschutes or
Hood River basins to determine where harvest of any Chinook and
unmarked or adipose fin-marked coho salmon is allowed. Harvest
of nonadipose fin-clipped steelhead is not permitted in the Central
Zone. There is no annual limit on adipose or otherwise fin-clipped
salmon or adipose fin-clipped steelhead so long as the appropriate
number of Hatchery Harvest Tags have been purchased to record
the catch.
• NOTE: Changes to salmon regulations for the Columbia River
system are printed in May and are available at ODFW offices or
from license agents. Check for new regulations before you fish.
Closed in all
waters unless
noted by species
under Special
Regulations.
Sturgeon Catch and release
only.
• Angling restricted to one single-point, barbless hook for sturgeon.
• Sturgeon may not be removed from the water and must be
immediately released unharmed.
year.
during trout,
salmon or steehead
seasons.
Warmwater
Game Fish:
Largemouth and
Smallmouth Bass
5 per day, 2
daily limits in
possession.
• No more than 3 over 15 inches in length.
year.
during trout, salmon
or steelhead
seasons only,
except portions of
Columbia River
tributaries flooded
by Bonneville and
The Dalles dams are
open all year.
Bluegill, Catfish,
Crappie, Other
Sunfish, Walleye,
and Yellow Perch
No limit. • Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions
central zone Cultus Lake (Deschutes Co.) • Trout daily catch limit may include only 1 lake trout, which must be at least 8-inch
minimum length. now do you see anything in here that has a 30" min size for Cultus lake I THINK NOT PERIOD!!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Bro no problem but earlier you said you could keep 2 lakers a day.

T
Thuggin4Life
BIG D said:

right here you said it sorry not trying to offend you. i was confused at first that's why I asked about the 30" minimum because thats what it is where i have fished. Then you posted some regs that to me weren't completely clear so i double checked to kill my curiousity about catching macs under 30". In your pic you each have 2 lakers over 8" and i thought i would point out that no doubt about it you can only keep ONE A DAY as you posted earlier and then contradicted yourself by saying two a day and even then as many a five a day over 8". I hope we both agree ONE A DAY FOR LAKERS AT CULTAS OVER 8".