Fishing During Rain ?

P
PDXKush
So I'm still new at this and trying to learn as much as possible. What tips/tricks should be used when lets say drift fishing in rain off a bank? Do the fish still bite? Any special bait or lures I should use? I'd like to know as much as possible. Thanks everyone. Kush

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Archives are a wonderful resourse...

Archives are a wonderful resourse...

PDXKush;
The best advice I can give you is to check the archives. You will find a wealth of information,locations,tips,gear,gait,etc. It can take time but it will be time well spent,trust me. I suspect most of our experienced fisher folk are out on the water until later this afternoon. Be safe.
Barb

M
metalmania
In the typical light rain and drizzle, I don't change up much from what I normaly use. But for really heavy downpours and rising water levels a change to a little flashier and larger gear is in order. Most say that rising levels kill the bite, and I sort of agree with this. Although rising water may make it harder, the fish don't leave the water. The first steel I banked during the winter run was when the clack was at near flood levels, the water was as brown as can be, and whole trees were floating down river. It gets tough but not impossiable.

P
PDXKush
Great info Metal. Thx a bunch. And thanx raincatcher for the hint on the Archives...On IT :)

A
ArcticAmoeba
When the water is on the rise, the fish moove closer to the bank. You can still get by with your standard drift gear, but a little more contrast is helpful. And when it is on the drop they move. a lot. But for rain and what have you, as long as the water, and weather are in your favor, there is not much you should need to change.

P
PDXKush
MAn you're too helpful. Thanks a ton IAN. Let me know when your going to do some bank/drift fishing @ Eagle Creek or anywhere in that area as I'd love to learn some from ya. Peace Andrew

P
phish-on
I do enjoy fishing in the rain. The best fishing ive had has been during a thunder storm. However; i dont suggest it.

J
JeannaJigs
Every winter steelhead I've ever caught...it's been raining. That kinda goes with the territory though, ya know, fishing january through march on the coast=almost guaranteed rain 90% of the time. Summer fish are another game entirely, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but during the summer, i become a fair weather angler. It doesn't rain much, so when it does, I just say forget it...I know...SAD, this summer though I'll be out there rain or shine, as it's the last summer i'll be fishing here, so i'm milking it for all it's worth. But like the guys said, unless the water's rising rapidly, you really don't need to change up a whole lot, maybe just add slightly more flash and upsize a little bit, but not by a lot. If it's brown, well that's another story, but I don't think we'll be seeing a whole lot more of that for a while, since we're coming into may. I know I won't be dealing with colored water on the McKenzie at all. That creates it's own problems, crystal clear water, but, that's another topic for another post.

In the end, rain is ultimately our friend. I think. (My tag says so anyway)

S
Snagged
Yes fish in the rain. It beats staying home sitting on your couch fat dumb and unhappy cause your not fishing. I know this from experience.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hahaha! You are not fat, nor dumb I would hope, considering the line of work yer in!:shock: But unhappy... I could see that! Hahahahha!:lol: I'm just joshin ya Kraig!