Fishing Creeks during closed Trout season

D
Drew9870
Is is legal to target Squawfish and Suckerfish in Creeks that have no special regs during the time that Trout season is closed, I have always fished for big Squaws and Suckers during this time, and I would expect ODFW to state it as Fishing Season in Streams/Rivers instead of just Trout Season if it was illegal. I usually just stick to Breadballs and fish sluggish frog water, so I don't pick up any Trout often.

A few of my buddies are skeptical about my thoughts on this, so I just want to clear it up.

P
Phil_Bud
Yeah! I have no idea but I wish ODFW would state a lot of regz more clearly...good luck out there.

C
capblack
if you read the regs it clearly states that non game fish are open only during trout, steelhead, and salmon seasons, except for a few exeptions. it also depends on the area your fishing, Brian

H
halibuthitman
odfw is actually very simple and clear.... if the regs don't say you can do it... assume that you can't and move on.

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
odfw is actually very simple and clear.... if the regs don't say you can do it... assume that you can't and move on.

X 2. If it's closed...then it's closed. An ODFW officer, or state trooper, is NOT going to cut you any slack; simply because there is NO "gray area".

But, if you scour the reg's...there are a FEW streams that are still open.

M
mrlindeman
I would try just giving them a call too Drew. They might be able to fill you in on the details. Maybe have them mail or fax you a document showing exactly what is accepted for that water. That way if you do get stopped you will at least have something to back you up.

C
chris61182
In general it's a resounding no. If you want to know where to find it, it's towards the top of the zone regulations. "Warmwater Game Fish" and "Other Fish" are "Lakes: Open all year." and "Streams: Open during trout, salmon, or steelhead seasons..."

In the Willamette Zone where I'm looking in the regs there are a couple of exceptions spelled out there for the Willamette and Columbia rivers and sloughs, so other zones may have some as well. And as always the special regulations for a specific body of water may also have an exception too.

C
chris61182
halibuthitman said:
odfw is actually very simple and clear....

I agree, the biggest problem is that anglers don't read the regulations and instead rely on third hand or worse info.

if the regs don't say you can do it... assume that you can't and move on.

I disagree with you to a point on that. The state wide regulations do a good job of spelling out precisely both what is and isn't allowed from a gear and tactics perspective, similarly so for the zone regulations. The only oddity is the special regs which can overrule the state and zone regs, and create the impression of 'not stated-can't do it', but it's still defined in the state and zone portions.