Fishing/crabbing report?

T
tminusmat
Hi Guys,

Anyone been on the bay or the jetty catch anything decent? Salmon/ bottom fish? And how are the crab looking?

Going out Sept 10th just checking early.

Thanks!!

Mat

Irishrover
Irishrover
tminusmat said:
Hi Guys,

Anyone been on the bay or the jetty catch anything decent? Salmon/ bottom fish? And how are the crab looking?

Going out Sept 10th just checking early.

Thanks!!

Mat

Just got home a couple of hours ago from Newport. I went out on the ocean Friday with my wife and we fished for seven hours north of the light house in about 220 feet of water, we had a lot of hits with four salmon to the boat but only one non clipped fish to put in the box. Real think fog in the morning. Had plans on going out today but the ocean was ruff and the Coast Guard had the red small craft advisory flag up. It been a slow salmon season to tsay the least. If you show up Septembere 10th the coho season will be over in the ocean. The crabbing should be better by then as the crabbs should be filling out. The bay and river should be ok for trolling. It's all weather dependent down there.;)

Last edited:
T
tminusmat
Hi Everyone,

Had a great weekend at Barview. No Salmon but 13 full crabs in 4 hours of fishing 3 california keepers was a real nice suprise. A ton of females, though, that were keeper sized and filling our rings. If we were able to keep those all 3 of us in the boat would have had limits pretty easily. Not complaining just reporting. Went out into the bubble and didn't even get a bite. Fished the ghost hole nada there as well. BUT beautiful days!!

tminusmat

T
The Nothing
I got a report from a coworker for Netarts.... 11 crab, 2 hrs...

as fa as fishing goes, lingcod efforts have proven successful (don't ask for my report) for those targeting them. Cabezon are also everywhere, but they have been closed...

B
Born2Fish55
Today was a 'fair' day.... :cool:

Barview Jetty - Tillamook Bay:
Fishing off the North Jetty, caught twenty plus Kelp Greenling, two Black Rock Bass, one big Sculpin (almost 16"), a bunch of Crabs, several Starfish, and a whole lot of cabbage (Seaweed). Saw a "FEW" boats out there fishing for Salmon... lot's of catch-n-release going on, only saw three fish kept in nine+ hours that I was there. I have dinner tonight so I am very happy:D

• DSC00233.jpg
  • DSC00241.jpg
  • DSC00231.jpg
  • DSC00235.jpg
N
n8r1
tminusmat said:
Hi Everyone,

Had a great weekend at Barview. No Salmon but 13 full crabs in 4 hours of fishing 3 california keepers was a real nice suprise. A ton of females, though, that were keeper sized and filling our rings. If we were able to keep those all 3 of us in the boat would have had limits pretty easily. Not complaining just reporting. Went out into the bubble and didn't even get a bite. Fished the ghost hole nada there as well. BUT beautiful days!!

tminusmat

Welcome to crabbing in Oregon! I think that I honestly catch 35-50 females and small males for every keeper male. It seems like a decade or so ago they had a very short period where you could keep females as well, but I can't remember exactly when that was.

F
Finneus Polebender
They did do it for one season years back then it was back to the same regs as usual ,they still had to measure the 5.75 inches they beleived that the bigger females were not as big of reproducers as the smaller ones think they changed their minds on that one!

T
The Nothing
The "catch and release" you saw were native cohos.

Fishing inside the jaws is still slow. The guides, the anglers, and the fish counters will all tell you its slow.

Something happened to the crabbing on Monday too. Nothing. I know one guy that found 2 keepers in 6 pots. I had nothing but dinks in 2 pots, and a guide friend of mine was pretty thin on his pots from overnight.

L
lpitzen
Open!, Open!, Open!:clap::clap::clap: