Fishing, can our youth afford it?

M
martin s.
I'm 60 years old now and still can remember fishing for bullheads with a cane pole and worms off an old wooden bridge in Denmark, Wisconsin at the age of 12. Its been so long now and I frequently ponder the positives in my life resulting from that memory. My life's been wonderful. A couple of days ago, while packing up a fly rod for a day of fishing, I was approached by my neighbors son, Ben. Bens 12 years old, nice kid, good parents. I see a lot of him, he loves to talk. As I was getting in my jeep, he stated; he wished he could go fishing. I got out of the jeep and told him that I would be honored to take him with me, but first we have to get permission from your dad. As we walked to his house, he couldn't contain his excitement. When he asked his dad if he could go, all that excitement turned to sadness as the answer was; No I can't afford to buy you a fishing lic. Knowing that I was walking a fine line, I offered to pay for the lic. His dad, answered , and whos going to pay for the fishing tackle, I told him that I would be honored to and that Ben would benefit from the experience the way I did. His reply was { IT MUST BE NICE TO BE RICH] and I was than asked to leave. IS Oregon that poor that we have to charge a 12 year old to fish. What are we saying about the future of fishing. Is the amount of money collected for our youth to fish out weighing the money lost by kids not fishing. Some thing to ponder, indeed.... What's your thoughts.

Reactions: troutdude
E
eugene1
Annual youth License is a measly $10. The better question is who CAN'T afford that?

Ben's dad sounds like a jerk to me.

W
wils
Sounds like the $10 fee isn't whats keeping the boy from going fishing with you

B
Berg03
Buying a kid a cheap combo pole ($20) and a $10 lic and about $15 worth of lures would get him started and would have lifetime memories with that. Feel sorry for that kid. $45 is not that much money.... heck he could just buy him some hooks. I am sure the kid would go dig for earthworms and then he could go catch some fish.

W
waco
$10 for an annual youth license that includes fishing, hunting and shellfish license don't look too expensive to me and I'm not rich. I think getting the license is not the problem there but that dad not interested on getting his boy into it.

troutdude
troutdude
What a drag, for the kid. My bio-dad, couldn't stand the smell or anything else to do with fish. But my step-dad taught me the basics, and we fished together. So a blessing, helped me become the addict that I now am. (a little levity) :thumb:

It may be of value to consider, to ask the kid's dad if he wants to go too. If, of course, that is even an option from your perspective. Or OFFer, to simply spring for a beer or something. It might help, to break the ice--and find out more about the situation. Maybe, as suggested, it doesn't have anything to do with the cost.

Heck; I'm struggling too. But, I'm willing to pay 1/2 of the fees to get them both a license. And I'll give 'em both a trout-sized rod n' reel, to boot. They can both learn, with FIBERGLASS rods then. Yeah...I know...I feel like a glass pusher sometimes. But Huey Lewis told me--way back when--to find a new drug.
:yikes:

Anyone else care to add, to the fund?

P.S. I tip my favorite fishing hat to you Marty, for caring about that kid. :hi:

Last edited:
E
eugene1
troutdude said:
Heck; I'm struggling too. But, I'm willing to pay 1/2 of the fees to get them both a license. And I'll give 'em both a trout-sized rod n' reel, to boot. They can both learn, with FIBERGLASS rods then. Yeah...I know...I feel like a glass pusher sometimes. But Huey Lewis told me--way back when--to find a new drug.
:yikes:

Anyone else care to add, to the fund?

P.S. I tip my favorite fishing hat to you Marty, for caring about that kid. :hi:

I'll kick in a $20 to get that kid into the sport, td. Use if for whatever works best martin.

Let us know, I think we can purchase a lic. online for the boy and/or dad?

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Im down for $20 and willing to throw in a day on the bank at Hagg to ensure their addiction runs deep!

PM me if we decide this is something a group of us really want to make happen. I really feel like fishing is what our youth is missing these days. Way too much inside activity or lack there of, meaning video games, junk food, and internet.

Cheers,

Chris

E
eugene1
MrGrumpFish said:
I really feel like fishing is what our youth is missing these days. Way too much inside activity or lack there of, meaning video games, junk food, and internet.

A most excellent point and I agree!

C
ChezJfrey
Yeah, I think it's good to remember that just because $50 (fee + tackle) is a paltry sum for some of us, it's daunting to others living on tight budgets...we don't know what kind of expenses these people have -- medical bills, overextended with rent or some unfortunate and costly circumstance. Or, maybe, dad is prideful, resentful, plain ol' jerk...who knows?

That said, I tend to accept all generosity of others and I've been generous to others as well. I have accepted gifts of soccer balls from my neighbor to my kids, even though I could afford them. Heck, I once gave a spare guitar to a girl visiting here from California that I didn't even know, just because she always wanted to play but couldn't afford a decent guitar. I still sometimes wonder/hope she devoted some effort to playing it....whoever/wherever she is, LOL. Frankly, I think dad should have accepted the OFFer. I also think fishing should be free for anyone under 18 years...but that's another topic.

Anyway, you can try the 'fund' method. But just a thought I had for any future effort you might have like this...go ahead and OFFer to spring for a $10 license, as I don't think that's much people can't accept...but if there is a 'next time' when it comes to rod/tackle, I would just say you've got an 'old rod', wife's, brother's, ???? whatever, that way you don't get that 'must be nice...' attitude. Even if you don't, and just go buy one, they won't know. Granted, I think his response is a bit lame, but a little bit of awareness (which you already felt when wondering if 'walking a fine line'...we already know some people are uncomfortable with accepting what they consider to be charity/pity) crafty ambiguity helps slip around this sort of problem.

P
playhooky
"Ben's 12 years old, nice kid, GOOD parents". Am I missing something? A GOOD parent looking out for the best interest of their child would certainly have a lot more positive attitude than that. But who knows....dad might have heard "No" a lot when he was growing up. Hard to know why so many parents derail their OFFspring these days. I feel sorry for Ben right now but we need to remember he's only 12 and one these years real soon he's gonna be really tired of hearing the word NO. Unfortunately for dad by then it'll be too late! Sad.....

troutdude
troutdude
MrGrumpFish said:
Im down for $20 and willing to throw in a day on the bank at Hagg to ensure their addiction runs deep!

PM me if we decide this is something a group of us really want to make happen. I really feel like fishing is what our youth is missing these days. Way too much inside activity or lack there of, meaning video games, junk food, and internet.

Cheers,

Chris

I'd be down, for a bank trip at Hagg, and help them get addicted. Gotta "follow suit", as the "pusher man". LOL

B
bigsteel
im down for a 100

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'm willing to chip in. Pride can be a road block to a greater good sometimes, if thats the Dads real reason. Regardless, seems the kid is the one getting short changed.

bass
bass
I think the best approach here would be to offer to take the son fishing on the free fishing day in June and let him borrow a rod for the day. If the dad still says no then I doubt there is anything you can do. Who knows, maybe a relative of the dad died or was injured in a fishing accident and he feels like he is looking out for his son's safety. Could be a lot of reasons for the dad's position that do not necessarily just point to being a jerk.

troutdude
troutdude
F
Fishpdx
Maybe the father is scared that the boy might become a addict like all of us and spend his whole life fishing. Just sayin. LOL