Fishing Bend in July?

F
fishpro123
First time poster, have checked the board often. My wife and I will be retiring in two years and are looking at Bend as a possible place to move (from Pennsylvania). This summer we will be out West (visiting our daughter in Washington) and there (Bend) for a day or two. I wanted to know if the fishing right in Bend proper was any good. I realize there are up stream and downstream Deschutes locations that could produce, but this trip will be part checking out the town, part checking 'the scene', with a few hours to wet a line. So what's the story? Above or below the dam in town? Other places? Appreciate any tips. Thanks.

C
capblack
central oregon is a sportmans paradise!! as far as close to bend, im not much help. good luck, and welcome to the forum, Brian

R
redhawk50
I caught 5-6 trout 4th of July weekend while camping at Tumalo State Park. That was in about an hour right at the campground. Tumalo is about 5-10 minutes out of downtown Bend. Lot of swimmers and floaters after 10am though so I would recommend early or late.

F
fishpro123
redhawk50 said:
I caught 5-6 trout 4th of July weekend while camping at Tumalo State Park. That was in about an hour right at the campground. Tumalo is about 5-10 minutes out of downtown Bend. Lot of swimmers and floaters after 10am though so I would recommend early or late.

Redhawk. Thank you. I just need to know if there were fish right around town. I'll give it a try when I am out there.

R
redhawk50
Just a heads up that it is pretty small there. Easily cast across or walk across. Kind of an interesting section of the D because you think big river and it is nice and almost creek like there. Didn't catch any big ones but I got no issue with 5-6 in an hour on dries. Lot of fun and easy wading too.