Fishing backpack users?

N
nimzrock
Greetings to my fishing family ,
I am thinking about getting a fishing backpack and wondered is any one is already ahead of me and how they like it. I am currently rolling out on stealhead with my vest,a large canvas kreel both loaded and 2 rods. I would like to condense everything and free my hands.
Thanx for your help & tight lines - Nimz :cool:

J
JeannaJigs
A backpack is a must. I've been fishing out of a backpack for the last 10 years. I thought that when I got my boat i'd give up the backpack, but nope...backpack goes in the boat. Keeps everything together and it's quick and easy to grab for a day on the water.

B
bigsteel
i use a mossy oak camo backpack i got from wholesale sports...4 compartments and 2 on the side wiith a drink holder.

M
metalfisher76
I love it for most situations. I recommend keeping it light though, it`s hard on the back. I kinda just quit using mine for that reason. If yer going to a hole to plop down and stay awhile, they are AWESOME! Mine`s big enough to throw my limit of springers in it and head for the rig, but almost weightless when empty. You don`t want to be walikn the shores lookin down, bent over, staring, walking, bent, blah, blah, blah.

O
OnTheFly
metalfisher's key words here are 'keeping it light'. Carry enough for changing conditions or methods but don't pack more than you need. I'm not sure what a fishing backpack is but a day pack is about right.:)

Last edited:
A
adambomb
I recently upgraded to the REI Trial 25. It is very light weight, versatile, and hydration compatible. And for 60 bucks, it would be hard to find a better pack. I take my pack every where except trout fishing on the mighty Mo in the heat of the summer, when I travel light.;) One thing about pack fishing I learned recently, is that when you are making a challenging fast water crossing, balance is crucial. With horizontal chest and waist straps, I can eliminate unexpected weight shifts, which can lead to getting wet or worse. As far as packing out my limit of springers, I'll cross that bridge when I get there!!

T
todd_brooks
I was wanting a fishing pack but didn't have or want to drop the cash on one. So I just bought some thin Plano boxes and put them in a pack I already owned. Its the only way to go in my mind when walking a river or stream. I use to bring my tackle box and would end up walking away from it only to have to back track every time. And when I'm in an open area I take my second rod and tuck it in between my back and pack like a ninja:lol:. Still haven't figured the best way when I'm in the trees to get free from the second rod.

D
dinghy
kids school packs work good and are cheap. check goodwill and second hand stores, that where I got mine for less than ten dollars each. I found some good quality ones there.

L
lilsalmon
My son got a really nice Beaver (GO BEAVS!!) backpack so I swiped his old one...works great for everything even the salted nut rollls....:D