Fishing at the Santiam river

Admin
Admin
Video report of fishing at the Santiam river, Oregon, on May 8, 2010.

M
michigan_transplant
I was there today. Had the same luck. :(

Admin
Admin
michigan_transplant said:
I was there today. Had the same luck. :(
What did you use?

Does the water get lower there during the summer? The place is just amazing, too bad it's so deep. I saw a fish jumping, so fish are there, but how the hell do I get my spinner on the bottom of that hole? I need to tie 10oz ball to it or something :lol:

M
Mike123
The lack of boats may tell ya something about the bite... it's been suckin lately.

M
michigan_transplant
It looked like you were at Waterloo, if thats the case I was up at the boatramp. little calmer up there. I was throwing everything at them. bobber with jig/prawn/pinkworm. working a corky off the bottom. there was a guy that hooked into one but didn't land it. most boats were leaving empty handed. people were saying the water was too cold.

Admin
Admin
It looked like you were at Waterloo
Yes, Waterloo.

I was up at the boatramp.
Above that mighty waterfall? I tossed my spinners there, too. Thought fish might want to stop and rest there after they overcome that fall. And I'll sneak on them. It didn't work out. :lol:

Admin
Admin
Kodiak said:
I will probably sneak over there tuesday or wed. Will PM you If I'm going to make it over there and will show you some secrets about that hole.
That would be great! :yay:

O
Orgwayne
Say Kodiak , thats the log I,m fishing on Tuesday , so where going have to share !! , did pretty good there last year
Wayne
probley be there after 6am

B
BlackBass
There was 3 Springers that i know of caught out of there today. Anatoliy you need a bigger rod 12-25 8'6" will do . Use a 1 oz inline weight with 2 foot of leader to a 4-6 blue fox. Little cleos and crocodiles work well also. Kodiak is right about the hi cold flows not being good for hardware right now. However i disagree with not being close to the bottom, i have caught 100 + springers right where you were standing on hardware. I make a long cast into the heavy current and drift it through the hole. When using a spoon i do the same thing but when rounding the corner of your cast rip the spoon from near the bottom thats when you will get 80% if your fish. Steelhead fishing has been realy hot at the deadline, bobber and jigs.

Admin
Admin
Spent afternoon at Waterloo. The water is even higher. :( Saw a lot of anglers, didn't see a single fish. :(

M
Mike123
Totally a rumor.. lol. They HATE First bite salmon jigs. Especially with a prawn on the end. Don't use those. Fish hate them.