Fishing around Rock Creek Campground, Florence?

K
kujolynx
Looking for bank fishing spots in and around the Rock Creek campground in Florence. Will be visiting the area late June and was curious if anyone had recommendations.

O
olshiftybiscuits
Cleawox, Munsel and Big Creek Reservoir #2 will be your best bets on the coast in June if you want to keep fish. They're all heavily stocked with trout and hold up well through June most years. The last stocking of the season on that part of the coast just happened this past week. In late June it'll be a little slower, but there will still be fish around. Most of these lakes get both legal (8-10 inch) and trophy (14-17 inch) rainbow trout. A few have wild cutthroat as well, which should be released if caught.

If you want to fish the creeks, most all of them in that area hold populations of small coastal cutthroat. They're wild fish so most of these streams are managed for catch and release. I'm sure Rock Creek right there through the campground has fish in it, though most will probably be in the 4-8 inch range.

Reactions: realradiobrian and kujolynx
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Note: If you check the 'exceptions' for the 'NW Zone', Rock Creek in Lane county is closed to fishing April1-Nov.30. It is only open for hatchery steelhead from Dec1 to March31. Many of the other really small coastal streams are the same, I would check the 'exceptions' before fishing any of them.

I think some of the upper areas of the Alsea might provide good bank opportunities for trout in late-June. cheers, roger

Reactions: realradiobrian and kujolynx
K
kujolynx
rogerdodger said:
Note: If you check the 'exceptions' for the 'NW Zone', Rock Creek in Lane county is closed to fishing April1-Nov.30. It is only open for hatchery steelhead from Dec1 to March31. Many of the other really small coastal streams are the same, I would check the 'exceptions' before fishing any of them.

I think some of the upper areas of the Alsea might provide good bank opportunities for trout in late-June. cheers, roger
Thanks for the heads up with the exceptions!

K
kujolynx
olshiftybiscuits said:
Cleawox, Munsel and Big Creek Reservoir #2 will be your best bets on the coast in June if you want to keep fish. They're all heavily stocked with trout and hold up well through June most years. The last stocking of the season on that part of the coast just happened this past week. In late June it'll be a little slower, but there will still be fish around. Most of these lakes get both legal (8-10 inch) and trophy (14-17 inch) rainbow trout. A few have wild cutthroat as well, which should be released if caught.

If you want to fish the creeks, most all of them in that area hold populations of small coastal cutthroat. They're wild fish so most of these streams are managed for catch and release. I'm sure Rock Creek right there through the campground has fish in it, though most will probably be in the 4-8 inch range.
Thanks for the recommendations!