Fishing around Medford

B
Bulldawg
Hi all,

I'm going to be in Medford area (White City) for a week on business the middle of September. Done every day around 3:30, and wondering where you might recommend I go fishing - and for what.

I prefer fly fishing, but am open to whatever works. I do have a kickboat that I could bring with me if I have room...not sure yet.

But anyway, just looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

A
ArcticAmoeba
Western Montana, great fly fishing! I have fished a lot of stream/creeks, and rivers, also lakes with the bug rod out there west of Missoula. Ashley, and Little Bitteroot, also McGregor Lakes have been pretty fun to say the least. Clark Fork is really nice too for flinging artificial bugs around. The Yaak River, where it comes into the Kootenai I think??? was a total trip last summer...

Fishing in southern Oregon huh? I do know that the Rogue will be no more than a 15 minute drive from White City. Also bring the kickboat if you can...Modoc Pond, and Agate Reservoir are some decent sized still waters for stocker trout, and bass. I'm not sure if Modoc gets trout, but just about every fish species in those two lakes will nab flies. Also for river fishing bring an 9 or 10 wt. fly rod if you want to target the salmon species in the Rogue River. You could get by with an 8/9 wt, but definitely will get bent over if you hook up to a big one...All the more reason for me to fish lighter gear... As far as places to fish go, I would hit the upper river, namely from the hatchery hole at McGregor Park, all the way down to Shady Cove will be full of Chinook, and maybe a bunch of Steelhead too by mid-Sept. Driving may not be of interest to you, but these place are only about 30-45 minutes North of Withe City. So place to fish from the Hatchery hole down to W.C. are... The Hatchery hole, then Casey Park has a nice steelhead tailout, that traditionally produces, after Casey, heading back, there are a lot of place to park off of HWY 62. Look for good holding water, and pull over and get a line in. Then comes Rouge Elk Park, it has a creek that meets the river on the west end, and it has some decent drifts for pig fish. Next on the way down is a turn off near Busch Rd. The river turns left as you are heading down stream, and also a nice steelhead flat section in there, as well as deeper chinook lazy out. Then comes the HWY 62 bridge that crosses the Rogue. Find any place near the river to park, parking lot, side of the road, anywhere. Lots of drift boats here, as the fishing can be epic, especially from the bank. Takelma Park is next, has a nice steelhead tailout above the park, and a long Chinook drift below the riffles. On down the line is the 234 bridge, I have parked on Dodge Bridge rd, and hiked down before. Deeper drift should be productive givin the right conditions, just not for me. And back down to White City, off of Table Rock Rd. there is Tou Velle Park. Only hooked one chinook from the bank there, but lots of drifters get overwhelmed with bites I guess...It is a lot of places to consider, but I thought I'd list every place I have had luck banking the Rogue River. Check out GoogleMaps, and decide where you can feasibly fish. If you have an opportunity, get to the Hatchery Hole, below the Dam. It will be jam packed by mid-September...Hope you can decipher all of that info easliy, and hope you do well on you trip down to the South of Oregon! Also if you feel so compelled to, get a hold of the gents at Oregon Fishing...They are out of Central Point, not far from White City, and they slay the Rogue. Could probably clue you in to some hot spots.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
ArcticAmoeba said:
Western Montana, great fly fishing! I have fished a lot of stream/creeks, and rivers, also lakes with the bug rod out there west of Missoula. Ashley, and Little Bitteroot, also McGregor Lakes have been pretty fun to say the least. Clark Fork is really nice too for flinging artificial bugs around. The Yaak River, where it comes into the Kootenai I think??? was a total trip last summer...

Fishing in southern Oregon huh? I do know that the Rogue will be no more than a 15 minute drive from White City. Also bring the kickboat if you can...Modoc Pond, and Agate Reservoir are some decent sized still waters for stocker trout, and bass. I'm not sure if Modoc gets trout, but just about every fish species in those two lakes will nab flies. Also for river fishing bring an 9 or 10 wt. fly rod if you want to target the salmon species in the Rogue River. You could get by with an 8/9 wt, but definitely will get bent over if you hook up to a big one...All the more reason for me to fish lighter gear... As far as places to fish go, I would hit the upper river, namely from the hatchery hole at McGregor Park, all the way down to Shady Cove will be full of Chinook, and maybe a bunch of Steelhead too by mid-Sept. Driving may not be of interest to you, but these place are only about 30-45 minutes North of Withe City. So place to fish from the Hatchery hole down to W.C. are... The Hatchery hole, then Casey Park has a nice steelhead tailout, that traditionally produces, after Casey, heading back, there are a lot of place to park off of HWY 62. Look for good holding water, and pull over and get a line in. Then comes Rouge Elk Park, it has a creek that meets the river on the west end, and it has some decent drifts for pig fish. Next on the way down is a turn off near Busch Rd. The river turns left as you are heading down stream, and also a nice steelhead flat section in there, as well as deeper chinook lazy out. Then comes the HWY 62 bridge that crosses the Rogue. Find any place near the river to park, parking lot, side of the road, anywhere. Lots of drift boats here, as the fishing can be epic, especially from the bank. Takelma Park is next, has a nice steelhead tailout above the park, and a long Chinook drift below the riffles. On down the line is the 234 bridge, I have parked on Dodge Bridge rd, and hiked down before. Deeper drift should be productive givin the right conditions, just not for me. And back down to White City, off of Table Rock Rd. there is Tou Velle Park. Only hooked one chinook from the bank there, but lots of drifters get overwhelmed with bites I guess...It is a lot of places to consider, but I thought I'd list every place I have had luck banking the Rogue River. Check out GoogleMaps, and decide where you can feasibly fish. If you have an opportunity, get to the Hatchery Hole, below the Dam. It will be jam packed by mid-September...Hope you can decipher all of that info easliy, and hope you do well on you trip down to the South of Oregon! Also if you feel so compelled to, get a hold of the gents at Oregon Fishing...They are out of Central Point, not far from White City, and they slay the Rogue. Could probably clue you in to some hot spots.

I will welcome you to OFF and then bow out, seems like your all ready taken care of...Thanks ArcticAmoeba, this is why this site works....:dance: :clap: :cool:

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
That is just my 2 cents on fshing the Rogue for salmonids... I know it is close to where he will be, but other info is also helpful from other members...Also if you are familiar with drift fishing Bulldawg, it is highly effective with bait, along with swinging spinners, and spoons too.

C
Combat Chuck
For close water bodies check out Agate lake and Denman ponds... both next to white city. The Rogue will definitely be better scenery but a little farther drive. There is a fly fishing only section on the rogue for trout. I think its called the holy water... its in between the hatchery/fish ladder and the dam. The rogue up above lost creek lake near prospect is good for fly fishing native rainbows... much smaller crowd than the lower stretch. Its probably half hour to an hour drive depending on where you are and the traffic. Oh, and stop by 'Pats hand tied flies' above lost creek for advise on the rogue if you need.

B
Bulldawg
Wow....Thanks for all the great info. Maybe I'll just ignore the "business" end of my trip and go fishing the entire week....lol.

The Yaak country is great - I love it up there...I'm down on the south shores of Flathead Lake. I'm going to miss a week of great lake trout fishing, but oh well.

I'll probably think of more questions here in the next few days, but thanks again, especially Arctic for his lengthy and thorough answer.

Rick

B
Bulldawg
What weight of line does one use on the end of the fly line? I imagine local fishing shops can set up me up with flies....could tie some but will probably pass on that.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I drift fish with a fly rod setup, and I have tied on about 25 yards of 10 lb mono. It is a sin in some flyers eyes, but I nail a lot of fish just roll casting egg patterns, or similar patts for salmon, and steeelhead...Pats hand tied flies is the best place to find bug bashing info for the Rogue River, like CombatChuck said above, check them out.

F
FishSchooler
How long have you been fishin to get to so many places AA?! Seems like youve been in eastern oregon, southern oregon, montana, all over oregon, washington... How many fishies have you caught in your life?! :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Not including Kokanee, stocker Rainbow Trout, or Bass, & other various species probably close to 3 or 4 hundred boated/banked Salmon/Steelhead. That is a total of 15 years of fairly persistent fishing with excellent anglers. Not huge numbers, but respectable in my eyes. I used to travel around the west for a living right out of high school, and when you work 3, 12's and get paid for 40 hours, you get a lot of time to fish really interesting areas. I worked, repair welding for a comercial fihing outfit, and did repair work out of Kodiak, AK. Pugeot Sound, and Kodiak Island get some epic fishing, so that was kind of unfair...

Last edited:
B
Bulldawg
I can see I'm not going to get much work accomplished while I'm down there....:lol:

F
FishSchooler
Whats 3, 12's amoeba?
I havent landed a steelhead or salmon yet after the last half of the summer Ive been trying... this is gonna be real tough... have to wait either until the winter steelies or the springers... no time anymore this year... gots to focus on school... junior high is gonna be hard compared to the easy elemetary school... only time to fish is birthday probably during the school year... maybe a couple times in the spring... :D
gots lots of time to read books and prepare...

Whats strange is my dad tells me that I dont read enough, but even since I started fishing, Ive been reading like 4 times more! :lol::D;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
Bulldawg said:
I can see I'm not going to get much work accomplished while I'm down there....:lol:

No way man! The fishing should be pretty good when you venture down our direction...Flies do very well, so if you are planning to target salmon, Don't rule out traditional bug flinging.

SCHOOLER - 3, 12's, are three, twelve hour days...in reference to an old job I once had...

F
FishSchooler
:doh::doh::doh::doh:
I can be sooo stupid sometimes...:D

B
Bulldawg
Dry line? Sink tip? Sinking line? How much backing-any extra?

Thanks again.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Bulldawg said:
Dry line? Sink tip? Sinking line? How much backing-any extra?

Thanks again.

I have always fished for Steelhead and Salmon with sinking line, and standard mono, double uni'd on, instead of a tippett blooded up. Primarily because I use big heavy flies, and mono performs well enough with casting, and far superior when fighting a decent fish, so its a trade off thing there. And the double union is better for attaching two dissimilar diameter, lines. When I drift fish with egg patterns I have 30 yard of mono on, and that is a whole 'nother ball o' wax... Yes, do spool up some extra backing, maybe 35 yards extra on top of your standard steup, for big Salmonids. Especially if you like to play 'em. Not a real complicated setup on your fly rod, just add backing, and use either a real tuff tippett, or 10-14 lb mono. I have seen fish rise to take dry flies, and also caught fish with sinking line and wets, right off the rocky bottom. At this point it is what you are most comfortable with line wise, minus the flies, those you definitely need to ask about whats working, when you actually get down here.

F
FishSchooler
I just figured out I will be down in medford for a weekend for a soccer game... long drive from up here... oh jeez, 4 hours... 4 hours for one game isn't worth it, but 4 hours for 3 days and one game with a long fishing day would be worth it! :dance: I might give rogue river a try, what spot should I go to and when's the steelhead and salmon peakin? I'm not sure when im goin down, so I need to make sure theres fish in the river, if not, what lakes?