Fishing and litter

my2labs

Most Featured
All the litter that clutters our fishing spots really gets to me. Thought I’d share a small thing I do every time I go fishing. It’s a rule I set for myself when I was a teenager and one I still continue today.

The Rule:

Everytime I go out casting, I pick up at least 2 pieces of trash I find and take it home to throw away.

Curious if anyone else does anything similar? And maybe hoping hoping to spark some new self imposed rules for other anglers.

I know it’s small, but it feels good and I’d like to think that over my lifetime, it may make a positive impact for someone or something.

Any of you have any rules like for yourself?

C_Run

One thing that gripes me is when people leave lots of line on the bank. I feel bad if I lose some line in a river and can't get it back. I always pick up the big egregious wads of line. I can wind it tightly in a little wad and put it in my pocket really fast. Why can't some other people? Sometimes there is too much trash to deal with but I do try to make some kind of positive impact.

my2labs

Most Featured
I can wind it tightly in a little wad and put it in my pocket really fast. Why can't some other people?
I’m with you man.

A wad of line 300 yards long can be wrapped into a tight roll about the size of a silver dollar.

To me, leaving a spoil of line on the river bank is the equivalent of the hunter who uses road signs to sight in his or her rifle. Great thing to do if you want fishing and hunting areas restricted and/or closed.

Orgwayne

Fished the Alsea A Lot With My Son , Always Had A Small Bag To Pick Up Junk, Never Failed To Not Come Home With A bag Of Junk, Some Really Messed People Out There
Wayne

rogerdodger

Most Featured
for some reason, lol , I carry dog poop bags everywhere- my PFD pockets, cargo pants, tackle boxes, jackets, dashboard....they work great to gather up bits of trash and discarded fishing gear, I always try to leave my bank fishing spots cleaner when I leave.

Anatoliy

Admin
for some reason, lol , I carry dog poop bags everywhere- my PFD pockets, cargo pants, tackle boxes, jackets, dashboard....they work great to gather up bits of trash and discarded fishing gear, I always try to leave my bank fishing spots cleaner when I leave.
Plastic! (in George Carlin's tone of voice) :LOL:
what about plastic up there in Oregon these days? in euro union they prohibited from 2021 plastic bags, plates, spoons, etc...

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Plastic! (in George Carlin's tone of voice) :LOL:
what about plastic up there in Oregon these days? in euro union they prohibited from 2021 plastic bags, plates, spoons, etc...
many cities in Oregon have banned plastic bags at grocery stores and some are banning single use plastics from fast food and coffee stores...nothing state wide yet. I almost always use the compostable/biodegradable dog poop bags.

my2labs

Most Featured
im right there with yah. Doggo (Comet) is My sidekick every chance I get!

A friend and I fished the Santiam above Detroit last summer and were APPALLED at all the trash, every roadside pullout had trash over the bank. Along the river, bait containers, lure and fishing gear packaging, beer cans and cigarette butts everywhere.

AND, another pet peeve of mine, toilet paper. People who camp along the river seem to think toilet paper isn’t trash. My god, you would think they could at least try and bury their waists.

Yes, we did haul out some of the trash.

Not a place I want to fish again even though we caught quite a few.

BB

rogerdodger

Most Featured

Fishnbuck

My rule that I have passed along to my now grown children...

"Leave it cleaner than you found it"

I don't leave a spot without a pocketful of someone else's discarded fishing line at a minimum.

hobster

My father always cleaned other peoples trash when I was a kid. Didn’t understand it then, but now I sure do and do the same. I hate to see how people litter the banks, don’t understand the ignorance when such beauty surrounds you.

Fishing Rod

Father always taught me, Leave it nicer than you found it. I too carry out trash and seem to be seeing more floating in the ocean that is easily picked up and put in my trash bag. Pass on the good habits and teach respect.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom