Fishing a rising river?

M
mlw
Hi folks, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for the last six months, and have enjoyed the forum.

I have to admit I am in the grip of steelhead fever, but my opportunities to get out have been limited lately. I understand the general theory that steelhead fishing is best on the drop, I presume because they are more interested in motoring upstream when rising, then nibbling my hopeful offering - but particularly when the river is low to start with, have any of you caught fish in a rising river?

My specific interest is Siuslaw/Lake Creek/Alsea over the next couple days - I know there are fish there - is it worth fishing for them?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard

mlw said:
Hi folks, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for the last six months, and have enjoyed the forum.

I have to admit I am in the grip of steelhead fever, but my opportunities to get out have been limited lately. I understand the general theory that steelhead fishing is best on the drop, I presume because they are more interested in motoring upstream when rising, then nibbling my hopeful offering - but particularly when the river is low to start with, have any of you caught fish in a rising river?

My specific interest is Siuslaw/Lake Creek/Alsea over the next couple days - I know there are fish there - is it worth fishing for them?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

mlw;
Welcome to the best forum around for sharing information. But then, I guess you would already know that if you've been lurking for six months. ;) We love lurkers,but can only welcome new members. I guess you don't usually rush into things,huh? :lol: That is fine with us.
As far as your preferred waters, I am a complete lack of help. The best I can offer is to direct you to all the other postings on the Siuslaw et al. There are a bunch to check out. Otherwise, the ones who can help the most are probably out there right now tagging as many as they can find. :dance: Check back later this evening and you should have loads of info. Again,welcome. Be safe.
Barb

C
Chedster
You can fish a rising river but I think your chances get slimmer the faster it's rising. Looking at the Alsea hydro-graph, they predict it will be blown out in the next few days with all this rain, but who knows. I would always check the USGS water gauge for the river before you go as it will tell you a lot before you drive out there.

J
JeannaJigs
The 'slaw is going to be blown out by monday. Fish it NOW! I broke my rod or I'd probably have gone over today despite having a ton of things to do at home. I fished it thursday and friday and the fish were active. Jumping like crazy. I had some hook ups but none banked.

You can check out the hydrograph for the 'slaw/lake creek here
MPLO3 Hydrograph

Tomorrow is going to be pushing it as far as rising levels go, but it might still be good up at whittaker, there are still a lot of fish in there.

Unfortunately, it's been a combat zone.

Good luck.

F
fishkiller
Both rivers are definitely worth fishing still. As the water rises fish closer to the shore due to the fact there is less silt that gets into their gills and sometimes better visibility. I hope this helps.

M
mlw
Thanks,
Everytime I check the weather it sounds wetter and wetter, but I'll probably give it try tomorrow. Lake Creek is closer to me than the Whittaker area, I know it clears faster than the Siuslaw, which I suppose means it also rises faster. Later in the week sounds better, but by then work will probably interfere, and in the current situation any work offered I have to take. I have not fished Whittaker, just driven up to the campground - might be useful to explore it for future reference if it is really wet. (although I need to watch my gas money, like lots of folks these days).
Thanks for the nice welcome, and info.
Michael

M
Mike123
I've had some killer days when the water is on the rise!
Usually fish are moving pretty good, but when you get a little pod of fish move into your hole, action can be good and really fast!
Especially up higher on river systems.

A
ArcticAmoeba
We catch a lot of fish on just about any condition, except when the baro is steadily rising. A friend finds his Kamloops trout don't strike much in those conditions, and I too find Steelheading to be slightly slower while on a steady rise... But I will say this. I have had 8 days this season where it was lights out and the baro was haeded straight up. So treat them like trout, and anticipate anything you can imagine. And try lots of colors while you're at it. As far as river levels go, they just move, they don't disappear.

B
Big Moby
I hate fishing a rising river! Having said that, I was fishing the Trask as the river was blowing out :(. My buddy Rene hooked 3 in about 1/2 hour at the dam hole. I did not touch a fish.

Moral of this story. It can be done but not ideal:confused:

H
Hawk
u gotta be at the rite place at the rite time with the right bait/lure................................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: