Fishin for Yamhill coho

B
bass_junkie
hey guys I am headin out tomorrow to try and catch some coho on the yamhill, I was just gonna see if anyone had any tips on gettin into em. I have never caught one before so I would love to get into one, I will be fishing from the bank though so I will be kind of limited on access. Any input would be awesome thanks!

F
fishtales
Go get em! I have been trying but have not caught one yet. The Yamhill near Dayton has limmited bank access. I have spent a bit of time there. I would try lures if they are rolling around where ever you end up.

B
bass_junkie
yeah I am gonna be tryin in dayton either that or the locks in lafayette I just want to catch one lol. I have heard of some people catchin em in dayton but to tell you the truth I have no clue what I am doin...:think:

F
fishtales
Well there is a rite way and the other way. Just make sure it is in season and have some fun. I have not been to the river lately but with the rain coming there should be fish moving in. I fished the locks last year a few times with the rain but never got in to any. good luck

M
masmith
fishtales said:
Well there is a rite way and the other way. Just make sure it is in season and have some fun. I have not been to the river lately but with the rain coming there should be fish moving in. I fished the locks last year a few times with the rain but never got in to any. good luck

Last year they all held up down by the bridge by the little park. You can park near the end of the road and go down a muddy embankment. There is a deep hole tons of fish last year. Is the run over the falls as big this year? If you see fish rolling let me know. I live in Lafayette so I will check it out. Good luck catching them it is slow dark warm water so I'm not sure how to catch them.

B
bigcat
known a guy who entered one of the bass tournaments held up there this time of year a few years back. He said he limited on 3 ho's within 20 minutes on a brown "bomber" bass plug. I've heard from other people to use bass plugs also at the mouth of the Yamhill.. go get em!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
does anyody have directions to the locks i'm heading out to the yamhill next weekend and i know of no good spots to target the coho

-brandon

M
masmith
brandon4455 said:
does anyody have directions to the locks i'm heading out to the yamhill next weekend and i know of no good spots to target the coho

-brandon

Did you read my post? I wouldn't go to the locks n

B
beaverfan
until the water temp. goes down quite a bit it's gonna be tough to get any of those fish to bite. When the water temps is warm they have total lockjaw.

B
browntrouthunter
masmigh, is there another name for "the little park" you referenced? I have been trying to find the coho on the Yamhill for a while and can not. I live in Newberg and if the little park is close I'd like to check it out.

M
masmith
browntrouthunter said:
masmigh, is there another name for "the little park" you referenced? I have been trying to find the coho on the Yamhill for a while and can not. I live in Newberg and if the little park is close I'd like to check it out.

It's called Terry park right at the bridge

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks. i might give it a try next weekend

W
wormosa
they are all over that bridge area.... masmith you had any luck this year?

S
steelheadstalker31
Black and purple jig under a float is a coho killer.

E
El Bassesino
Just saw a report on Outdoor GPS that Coho are hitting on the Yamhill River, Im new to Oregon, anyone know any good spots from the bank?

M
masmith
I'm at Terry park right now, plunking with eggs, the one thing I didn't try last year. About one fish jumping every 20 seconds or more- none biting other people running lures none biting gunna try a plug.

K
kayakkid
any fish biting today?

C
cntrydude
masmith said:
I'm at Terry park right now, plunking with eggs, the one thing I didn't try last year. About one fish jumping every 20 seconds or more- none biting other people running lures none biting gunna try a plug.

Matt,
Did you see a fish caught on Saturday?
Glynn

C
cntrydude
Went down Friday 10-22

Went down Friday 10-22

On Friday the wife and I launched at Dayton about noon and went down to the mouth of the Yamhill. Water temp in the Yamhill was around 54 degrees. As soon as we got to the mouth we saw the fish rolling, had one nearly hit the boat. Fished everything from spinners, corkies and crankbaits. Water in the Willamette was about 56 degrees. We didn't touch a fish. We fished until almost dark and had a great day on the water but no fish!

GPI_2272.JPG