Fisherman feared drowned in Willamette River

troutdude
troutdude
Oh man; that really stinks. What a drag. Prayers go out to his family.

brandon4455
brandon4455
man that sucks RIP. ive had a close call on the willy this year..that river is dangerous

troutdude
troutdude
Not to hijack, but the Willy is VERY dangerous! It has undertow currents, that pull you under and don't let go...even in shallow stretches.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Not to hijack, but the Willy is VERY dangerous! It has undertow currents, that pull you under and don't let go...even in shallow stretches.

me and grandpa at buena vista in a tiny a$$ 2-3 person john boat with a 5hp and a 2.5 hp and a trolling motor we went down river and in a matter of seconds the water went for 15 to 2ft deep then it pulled us to the bank under a buch of brush almost tipping the boat numerous times and scraping us. i even bonked my head on a tree. luckily i had a oar in my hand and i pushed us off into the middle so pops could turn the motors on. we were in the middle but not safe from danger yet.. with all 3 motors fired up it took about 10 mintues to make it back up that swift curren.t so we decided to go up river into the luckaimute fors some bass panfish and pikeminnow i ended up lpoosing a 4lb plus largemouth and landed several nice sized bass and bluegill. but the point of this is. don't go on the willy with a small boat and make sure you are not alone. bring a buddy and wear a vest.

brandon

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
brandon4455 said:
me and grandpa at buena vista in a tiny a$$ 2-3 person john boat with a 5hp and a 2.5 hp and a trolling motor we went down river and in a matter of seconds the water went for 15 to 2ft deep then it pulled us to the bank under a buch of brush almost tipping the boat numerous times and scraping us. i even bonked my head on a tree. luckily i had a oar in my hand and i pushed us off into the middle so pops could turn the motors on. we were in the middle but not safe from danger yet.. with all 3 motors fired up it took about 10 mintues to make it back up that swift curren.t so we decided to go up river into the luckaimute fors some bass panfish and pikeminnow i ended up lpoosing a 4lb plus largemouth and landed several nice sized bass and bluegill. but the point of this is. don't go on the willy with a small boat and make sure you are not alone. bring a buddy and wear a vest.

brandon

Yeah, the Willy is incredibly dangerous with all the strainers... I live about 5 minutes from the ferry and float there all the time, in addition to the Corvallis to Albany stretches and the Crystal Lake to Bridge takeout. There are some really bad spots all through there... And ones that could sneak up on you. It's just a big fast river.

People BE CAREFUL and carry your whistles!!

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
:( :( Thats sad. You gotta be carefull. Gotta wear a life jacket when on the water in a boat

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
So sad. I always cringe when I see a report like that. Please be careful out there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
GraphiteZen said:
Yeah, the Willy is incredibly dangerous with all the strainers... I live about 5 minutes from the ferry and float there all the time, in addition to the Corvallis to Albany stretches and the Crystal Lake to Bridge takeout. There are some really bad spots all through there... And ones that could sneak up on you. It's just a big fast river.

People BE CAREFUL and carry your whistles!!
we were lucky it didn't tip. i refused to let the bushes tip us..i had so much adrenaline i just went for abig branch with my oar and oushed us off.. this was a little bit below the ferry i think. were the water drops and get really low. not on the ferry side the other side of the river... it is a scary,dangerous river.. ive seen it take lives of swimmers in the indepenennce park as well..they drowned in the same spot me and a few friends were dragged into and had to swim to the bank..

and yes indeed life jacket and a whistle it dosent matter how stupid it looks or how uncomfortable you are...just wear it don't sit on it.