Fished Miller yesterday!

O
oldhippie
What a spectacular day!!! After getting just about blown off Crescent Lake we arrived at Miller around 10:30 or so. There was just a light breeze and a lot of sunshine with the occasional cloud to break up the light. It was warm, we got down to just t-shirts by about 1PM.

We got into the fish almost immediately and had bouts of very hot action pucntuated by a few dead spells. Caught 9 fish, 8 browns and a rainbow. The browns ranged from about 13" to 16".

Now for the fish story!:)

We were cruising slowly about 50 feet from shore. I cast out in front of the boat and a brown hit my lure almost immediately. It came up to the surface and was thrashing around when we heard a rustling, whooshing sound. Down comes this bald eagle attempting to take my fish! The eagle just missed the fish and flew back up into the trees where it continued to watch us and wait for another chance! All this happened about 25 feet out in front of the boat! Needless to say, that made my day! :D

B
billski
advice on fishing Miller Lake...

advice on fishing Miller Lake...

Old Hippie,

I wanted to know the in's and out's of fishing Miller Lake out of Chemult. I'm thinking of taking my step-son's there and wanted to know if you catch them with trolling, still-casting from a boat, jigging off the bottom, and ideas about lures, what things have worked for you, where to fish for them on the lake, things like that. I have never been there, but here the fishing can be good. If you can help me with some info. it would sure be appreciated. Thanks, Bill Christiansen.

O
oldhippie
billski said:
Old Hippie,

I wanted to know the in's and out's of fishing Miller Lake out of Chemult. I'm thinking of taking my step-son's there and wanted to know if you catch them with trolling, still-casting from a boat, jigging off the bottom, and ideas about lures, what things have worked for you, where to fish for them on the lake, things like that. I have never been there, but here the fishing can be good. If you can help me with some info. it would sure be appreciated. Thanks, Bill Christiansen.

Bill, sorry to take so long to reply. We still-cast from a boat although you can fish from shore. We use rapalas and kastmasters. Jig the kastmasters deep (let them sink to the bottom or near and jig them back in). My preference for rapalas is the #11 rainbow floater but most will work. Miller is open 24 hours, the best fishing for large fish is evening and pre-dawn. The fishing is slow during the day now unless you're trolling deep. It will improve progressively up until snow closes access (usually during late October- early November).

F
FernRidgeChamp
That's a crazy story! I have not had anything like that happen yet but it's amazing to interact with nature. When you’re not destructing it I mean.

FRC

T
TTFishon
oldhippie said:
Bill, sorry to take so long to reply. We still-cast from a boat although you can fish from shore. We use rapalas and kastmasters. Jig the kastmasters deep (let them sink to the bottom or near and jig them back in). My preference for rapalas is the #11 rainbow floater but most will work. Miller is open 24 hours, the best fishing for large fish is evening and pre-dawn. The fishing is slow during the day now unless you're trolling deep. It will improve progressively up until snow closes access (usually during late October- early November).

Great story! I've always wanted to try this lake too. What kind of camping is available?

O
oldhippie
TTFishon said:
Great story! I've always wanted to try this lake too. What kind of camping is available?

There's a really nice campground at the lake (digit point campground).

T
TTFishon
oldhippie said:
There's a really nice campground at the lake (digit point campground).

Is it a pay campground and do dogs have to be leashed?

O
oldhippie
TTFishon said:

It's pay until they shut the water off for the season. If there's a leash requirement, it's never been enforced from what I've seen.

L
liquidplumber
TTFishon said:

Last time I was there they enforced the leash law.I forget what the fine would be but the campground hosts are on it.

T
TTFishon
liquidplumber said:
Last time I was there they enforced the leash law.I forget what the fine would be but the campground hosts are on it.

Is pay camping the only camping available there or can I drive to a spot without bathrooms that's free and I can let my dog run around and be a dog?

O
oldhippie
TTFishon said:
Is pay camping the only camping available there or can I drive to a spot without bathrooms that's free and I can let my dog run around and be a dog?

I'm not aware of anything real close by. There are some snowmobile trails and dirt roads fairly close, you could probably set up on one of those.

T
TTFishon
oldhippie said:
I'm not aware of anything real close by. There are some snowmobile trails and dirt roads fairly close, you could probably set up on one of those.

I'm going to have to check it out one of these days. Thanks.

B
Barbless
TTFishon said:
TTFishon: Not trying to raise hackles here, just wanted to make a suggestion. Please consider keeping your dog on a leash, whether there is a leash requirement or not. Your dog looks like a fine sort, and I grew up on a farm and had a similar dog the whole time during my formative years. But I can tell you that on multiple occasions I have been to campgrounds, or otherwise recreating in the outdoors, and found unleashed dogs a great annoyance. This is especially true when more than one person in the area has decided to let the dog "go rogue" and they interact poorly, or encourage each other to misbehave, like a pack of frat boys.

Again, not denigrating you or your furry friend, but many owners who think they have remarkable voice command over their dog's behavior, really do not, and they end up yelling themselves hoarse (also annoying) as their animal goes on to blithely run through multiple campsites at will, or defecate in the swimming hole among the playing kids (true story, last summer).

I really do support the notion of letting a dog be a dog, but I live in the Portland area where all too often that means "being a dog" among people who have chosen to not have a dog. Certainly when I go to escape the annoyances of Portland, I do not want to encounter more of the same.

Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

T
TTFishon
Barbless said:
TTFishon: Not trying to raise hackles here, just wanted to make a suggestion. Please consider keeping your dog on a leash, whether there is a leash requirement or not. Your dog looks like a fine sort, and I grew up on a farm and had a similar dog the whole time during my formative years. But I can tell you that on multiple occasions I have been to campgrounds, or otherwise recreating in the outdoors, and found unleashed dogs a great annoyance. This is especially true when more than one person in the area has decided to let the dog "go rogue" and they interact poorly, or encourage each other to misbehave, like a pack of frat boys.

Again, not denigrating you or your furry friend, but many owners who think they have remarkable voice command over their dog's behavior, really do not, and they end up yelling themselves hoarse (also annoying) as their animal goes on to blithely run through multiple campsites at will, or defecate in the swimming hole among the playing kids (true story, last summer).

I really do support the notion of letting a dog be a dog, but I live in the Portland area where all too often that means "being a dog" among people who have chosen to not have a dog. Certainly when I go to escape the annoyances of Portland, I do not want to encounter more of the same.

Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

I understand where you are coming from. Dogs can be quite annoying. I've never yelled myself hoarse with Bianca. She's an awesome dog. She never leaves my side when I go fishing unless I tell her to. So unless there is a leash law she is not going on a leash.

F
Finneus Polebender
An I am 99.9% sure TT nor I would cut our dogs loose in Portland or a busy outdoor rec area, as for forest lands etc mine will run too. no indiference or disrespect here either ,but shouldnt anyone who decides to wander in the wilderness kinda expect/ be prepared to possibly run into situations with wild /semi wild / domesticated animals whether they choose to keep animals or not.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
An I am 99.9% sure TT nor I would cut our dogs loose in Portland or a busy outdoor rec area, as for forest lands etc mine will run too. no indiference or disrespect here either ,but shouldnt anyone who decides to wander in the wilderness kinda expect/ be prepared to possibly run into situations with wild /semi wild / domesticated animals whether they choose to keep animals or not.

Yeah, I'd never do that. I care about my dog too much. I have a feeling Barbless had a couple of bad experiences that left a bad taste in his mouth. Thanks for backing me up FP.