Fish - They all live exactly alike..... Almost.

D
Drew9870
Some folks might say a certain type of fish would eat a turd, of course, the first things that might come to your mind would be a Carp (or any bottom feeder) and Hatchery Trout. What makes one think a Salmon wouldn't eat a egg looped turd with a red bead/corky above it, even a Steelhead or Native Rainbow. Fish live to do three things, Eat, Spawn, and Compete to stay alive, what makes fish any different from mammals, or unevolved humans, all fish are created equal, maybe the placement of the mouth has adapted to how that fish has had the most success feeding and meeting it's dietary requirements, if a Bass or Salmon had the same diet of a Carp or Hatchery Trout, it would probably have no problem surviving, it would get the neccesary Carbs, Proteins, Minerals, and Aminos to survive.

Even Aggression, ALL fish have some aggression and there is almost always atleast one way to trigger it, I have seen a 12lb Carp swim full throttle into a school of baby shiners/squaws with its mouth open while I was standing about 12ft away. Leech, Crayfish, and Minnow patterns can trigger aggression, in some cases I even believe Eggs trigger it too.

This is not a thread to get people to gain respect for Carp, in fact, you can forget I even mentioned the word Carp to get the point that all fish are just fish regardless of species, if you locked up some Bass in a pond with nothing but Bloodworms buried in the mud, a lot of those bass would eventually live like a bottom feeder and dig around the mud trying to find everydays meal just because that is what nature taught it to do, and after a long while, some generation of those Bass could even evolve to have a slight downturned mouth. If a certain species of fish was stupid, it wouldn't be on planet Earth this year.

So once you get to really understand one type of fish, you can usually incorporate your knowledge into catching a variety of other fish, fresh or salt, America or not.

J
JeannaJigs
lmao @ egg looped turd.

M
Moe
Very true drew, I bet if you carolina rigged a turd and shook it around some lily pads you might get a bass. If your lucky :D

B
beaverfan
Some of what you said is true but I have to disagree, you don't have to be smart to survive. There are some fish that are way more evolved than others, some fish survive because they are effective at what they do. Take Sturgeon for instance, they have barely evolved at all in millions of years. They haven't evolved because they are good at what they do not because they are smart. There is no such thing as a smart fish!

D
Drew9870
What qualifies as a smart fish to me would be one that didn't get eaten as a minnow, so if there is no such thing as a smart fish in your words than there is no such thing as a smart human, just evolved/adapted......

Just like humans, some fish can be dumber, some can be smarter, but above all, they are smart for knowing how to live their life without teachers and scientists like us humans, fish doesn't need a food guide pyramid, they usually know what benefits their health just from the scent.

M
Moe
I think if a fish can swim hundreds of miles to the same exact crick it was born in, just by smell, then it is a pretty smart fish. And I have also heard that carp can feel your heartbeat through the rod n line.

B
beaverfan
Moe said:
I think if a fish can swim hundreds of miles to the same exact crick it was born in, just by smell, then it is a pretty smart fish. And I have also heard that carp can feel your heartbeat through the rod n line.

I think your confusing instinct with intelligence.

D
Drew9870
Moe said:
I have also heard that carp can feel your heartbeat through the rod n line.

All fish can feel the vibration being sent down your line, even slight electrical pulses can be sent down the line from what I have heard. It is the fishes lateral line that detects this, and it is the reason why one should walk carefully and quietly up to the bank you are going to fish.

S
steelhead1
Mono line does not conduct electricity,and chances are that your rod has a foam or cork grip,which also would act as an insulator. I dont mean to argue, but some fish do SEEM to have a more advanced "thought" process.For example.Have you ever observed a bass closely inspecting a wiggling worm,then slowly turn and look right at you, then turn back to the suspicious tidbit,then turn back at you, then casually swim away? I have seen this many times going after spring largemouth. Its like they are working out a problem, and making a choice (sometimes they just suck it in,and its on). Many other species I have been fortunate to observe taking a bait or lure, just grab or gum it with their mouth, and then decide its is or is not something good to eat (or kill). All animals survive by instinct,but to say that there arent different levels of "intelligence" among fish, would be ignorant IMO.:D

B
bigsteel
Smartest fish in the state=redband rainbows

H
halibuthitman
go spend 6 hrs on the fall river, silver creek or the fly section of hat creek and tell me fish are not intelligent... or at least sophisticated. now steelhead and salmon VERY stupid, but still frustrating.

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
go spend 6 hrs on the fall river, silver creek or the fly section of hat creek and tell me fish are not intelligent... or at least sophisticated. now steelhead and salmon VERY stupid, but still frustrating.

i agree technical little streams are tougher to pull out fish then a big open river.they are not stupid in there,,,they dont get big by being stupid.

D
Drew9870
Mill Creek in Salem is a favorite of mine, and if you like to fish the little creeks that offer more challenge, it is one of them, and goes with general stream regulations and opens in May (on my bday, lol) if I remember correctly for the Salem area. You know, the creek in front of the Oregon State Pen. on State St, lol, that is my favorite stretch actually :D.

Silver Creek is another good one, pulled some nice fiesty Rainbow and Cutthroat outta there (Silverton, right?).

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Idaho... its a spring creek, toughest flyfishing you probably can do-