Fish the Alsea this weekend?

D
Devin
So I've never fished the Alsea before but I am wanting to go and do some fishing in the river this weekend. I've been checking the water levels and they're still pretty low. 1 1/2 ft or so on the graphs. So what I think that is tellin me is I need to be fishing down far enough on the river to be fishing the tide water since the Chinook are probably still all pooled up in there? Anyways my main question would be, is there any good bank access/good holes to fish the tide water from the bank? And if so what kind of technique/bait is a popular one on the river? I mainly prefer drifting lil corkies, spin n glows maybe some yarn with some cured eggs on my hook. Or I'll float/plunk some eggs. Anyways if you can help me out with any prior knowledge you have on fishing this section of the river, just let me know. Hope to hear from you guys.
thanks, Devin

O
OnTheDrop
Bit early for some Falls. Tidewater if anything.. But don't expect numbers pooled up in tidewater yet.. Good luck if you go! I'll be out there in a few weeks regularly since I moved to Corvallis. Siuslaw and Alsea are awesome systems. Can't wait for some rain and a little time

Cheers

D
Devin
Yeah I was thinking myself it was still a bit early. I'm just eager to chase some fish around. Corvallis huh? I live just in Albany. For spring run I really like to fish the south santiam up to the deadline in sweet home. I've herd a lot of good things about the siuslaw as well. Anyways hey thanks for the advice.

troutdude
troutdude
According to a report that I received a few days ago; their are Bluebacks as far upstream as 5 Rivers. So, just switch tactics for now and have fun. And remember, it's artificial flies and lures ONLY above Tidewater. Pick up some Borden Specials, from Mitch at Two Rivers Fly Shop in Albany; fish on!

D
Devin
Yeah it's artificials through the 31st. Sounds like I would have more fun bring the trout rod out instead. how do you like to fish those flies?

troutdude
troutdude
Chat w/ Mitch; he'll give you the scoop. But, those Borden Specials sell out FAST (literally dozens at a time...they are that good). So get down there soon...or you may not get any for the weekend!

B
bmpadgett
Chinooks are coming in now. Seeing 12-15 fish per day @ Drift Creek. Largest so far 32lb. Trolling herring & spinners.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Must work at the landing huh?

D
Devin
Yeah that is kinda the report I had herd from a buddy yesterday was that the tide water was really picking up and that he knew someone who caught a couple nooks from the bank. I was going to try my luck on Sunday from the bank but was invites to pitch on gas and go with a guy to troll spinners n cut plug hearing on the slaw. Wish I would have gone to the alsea because we were on the slaw for twelve hours and we saw at least a hundred boats and didn't see anyone fighting/landing fish. I'm thinking it had to do with the water being warm and over pressured?? a lot of the water on the slaw was in low 70's also not the best tides either. But I plan on going to alsea this week and weekend for sure. If you hear any more updates guys I would love to hear it. I'll also post a report from when I hit the water. Thanks