Fish runs on the Willamette

I
I3acon
Hey all,
Novice fisherman here - just started a few months ago. Been fishing mainly around the Corvallis area (EE Wilson, Adair Pond, Fisher Island, and the Willy) essentially learning how NOT to catch fish. :)

I've only been able to catch a few "chubs," as a local called them, on the Willamette using rooster tails. I know some rivers have "runs" in the fall and spring. I was just curious if that was the case on the Willamette near Corvallis (specifically near Crystal lake sports park). Will the fishing pick up for a fall run of Chinook or something? If so, when might be the best time to get out there?

Reactions: fishtales
F
fishtales
I don't fish that far up river, but it looks like the fish counts are pretty good right now for Coho. They have to go somewhere. Anyone know about how long it takes for them to reach Corvallis after the falls:)))

E
eugene1
I think those coho to the tualatin river? I don't think many of them will get to corvegas.

I3acon, welcome to OFF. The main runs of fish coming through Corvallis are the Spring chinook and summer steel. there's a website that shows passage numbers: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish_counts/willamette falls.asp

A few fall nooks come up, but pretty small numbers to target. You should take a road trip out to the coast rivers this time of year.

Best,

H
hydropsyche
About the only fish you will find around there are bass, pike minnow, sturgeon, springers and summer steel i don't many folks that target salmonoids on that strech . Most of the fall nooks will be in the santiams. looks like its gonna be another strong run for coho seems the furthest river the go up is the calapooia last time this happened i went and checked out the yamhill and it was stacked with lock jawed coho. You live close to some really great water on the coast which is where you will probably have the best chance to catch a salmon. The alsea and siletz have good accessible water to fish.

B
bran_man
The willy gets a spring chinook run and a summer steel run that overlap each other. It also gets some winter steelhead as well but they are just stragglers and does not have a true run. Pretty much everything else is accidental stragglers lol springers this time of year are def no good to eat, but still a really fun fight (for the most part unless you hook into that's close to dying) for your area maybe try the santiam? Sorry not too familiar with your area wish I could be of more specific help

I
I3acon
Thanks for the replies! That's all great info.

Eugene, I saw that link you posted earlier today but I wasn't sure how many of those fish make it all the way to Corvallis. Sounds like the Santiam is where I should go for a decent shot at some nooks. I think there's a rest stop just off I-5 that has river access to the Santiam. Will have to try that out.