Fish Replicas of the Future

F
Fish-N-Chips
This would be a perfect alternative to fish replicas aside from the sweet artists out there

B
BobbiDollPDX
Okay, that's something I deal with on a daily basis. Didn't expect to see it here. The dude with the pony tail was a goober, just saying.

Most of my experience with 3d printers is not with the scanners, that is more for reverse engineering, but more for the physical prototypes of consumer products for our customers. Most 3D CAD programs now output directly to formats that are read by these printers allowing companies to see what their products will look like before manufacturing.

You wouldn't believe the crazy crap people are printing though. I've seen shoes printed on them to actually be sold (very high price point and very ugly) and I heard recently that they are printing bikinis too. I can't imagine a plastic bikini would be terribly comfortable.

T
TTFishon
That would be cool to do that to a fish but wouldn't you have to kill the fish first? I'd rather snap a pic, take measurements, then release the fish. :)

Bobbi, how much does it cost to print something up on one of those printers?

B
BobbiDollPDX
TTFishon said:

Depends on the complexity of the model. Can range anywhere from $50 on up. 3D printers can be purchased starting around $650 on up to $10k. Some companies will buy their own if they plan on doing a lot of prototypes as it is more cost effective.

T
TTFishon
BobbiDollPDX said:
Depends on the complexity of the model. Can range anywhere from $50 on up. 3D printers can be purchased starting around $650 on up to $10k. Some companies will buy their own if they plan on doing a lot of prototypes as it is more cost effective.

Interesting, thanks. :)

F
Fish-N-Chips
TTFishon said:
That would be cool to do that to a fish but wouldn't you have to kill the fish first? I'd rather snap a pic, take measurements, then release the fish. :)

I would not release a hatchery fish because that would defeat the whole purpose so I think this would be an inexpensive alternative to a $1,200 airbrushed foam replica.