Fish OFF entry fee poll

• $10 with total payback by percentage to the top 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $30 with total payback by percentage to the top 8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F
FishFinger
Should there be an entry fee and if so what is the best way to manage the proceeds?

Could a percentage of the gate be used to purchase OFF gear for prizes?

I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.

F
FishSchooler
Lol were the only two that voted. Yet. If I go, I dont want to pay my precious money until I get a job... cause I dont get allowance... or money for any chores... Only way I make money is by winning those things where you guess how many candy bars in the box kinda thing and sellin those candy bars. I made 24 bucks!
We could get donations and use those for prizes, or have people like you donate some flies, spinners, or any other of that crafty stuff, I'll be glad to donate some once I go to BC...

F
FishFinger
Little buddy your heart is in the right place. I agree we could definatelly gather up grand prizes just between the talent that make up our forum.

Some very special items are already in the works..

To announced at a future date.

With an entry fee we have an opportunity to fund some OFF merchandise, stickers, hats, hoodies and such.

A
ArcticAmoeba
As soon as this becomes an official event, there will need to be a lawyer involved. If you are going to have entry fees, it is no longer a camping trip where we just fish together, it is an official competition. I am opposed to having this be an entry/reward event, I agree with some stupid, home made awards, but if it gets very deep, I have a feeling someone is going to try to get the law twisted around this event. Just a thought.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
As soon as this becomes an official event, there will need to be a lawyer involved. If you are going to have entry fees, it is no longer a camping trip where we just fish together, it is an official competition. I am opposed to having this be an entry/reward event, I agree with some stupid, home made awards, but if it gets very deep, I have a feeling someone is going to try to get the law twisted around this event. Just a thought.

Yeah... my thoughts are almost like that.

It's just a OFF get together right? Why would people want to pay to have a get together? I mean, if you pay that fee just for camp sites (in advance) that would be a different story. ;) We need to get sponsors, or have the detroit peeps save all the sites for a weekend just for us. :cool:

F
Fishtopher
FishSchooler said:
It's just a OFF get together right? Why would people want to pay to have a get together?

I think a raffle would be reasonable though. With the prizes being determined by how many people enter the raffle/how much money for a raffle ticket. The raffle should be considered totally different than the fishing part, that way the man can't rain on our fishing.

F
FishFinger
My hope for this event was to have the members define it. While only a small percentage of folks put in there two cents, I'm more than willing to accept the trend and officially announce our gathering WON'T INCLUDE a "derby" w cash prizes. Not only is a headache set up, the logistical and potential liabilities are too great for this, our first forum wide gathering.

Perhaps sometime in the future thought can be given towards a bonafide competition, this time lets allow it to be fun and social.

A raffle is fun but, there is still the money aspect; collecting, safe guarding and disbursement. I'd like to keep the event for fun rather than profit; this time around.

I do have an idea I'd like to float.

The Secret fisherman. Similar to a secret Santa, members contribute a small "gift" perhaps homemade, and wraped. Names or umbers are drawn from a hat or bowl and prizes are chosen based on who's nane /numbers is called. Once opened the item is shown to the group. The following person can either pick a new gift or lay claim to another members gift already opened. The person who hands of the gift off selects a new gift from the collection. and the process moves on until all gifts are claimed.

The only logistical aspect would be getting everyone together for a pot luck Sat night.

Sound like a reasonable idea inlue of a fishing contest?

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:
My hope for this event was to have the members define it. While only a small percentage of folks put in there two cents, I'm more than willing to accept the trend and officially announce our gathering WON'T INCLUDE a "derby" w cash prizes. Not only is a headache set up, the logistical and potential liabilities are too great for this, our first forum wide gathering.

Perhaps sometime in the future thought can be given towards a bonafide competition, this time lets allow it to be fun and social.

A raffle is fun but, there is still the money aspect; collecting, safe guarding and disbursement. I'd like to keep the event for fun rather than profit; this time around.

I do have an idea I'd like to float.

The Secret fisherman. Similar to a secret Santa, members contribute a small perhaps homemade, wrap them. Numbers are drawn from a hat or bowl and prizes are chosen based on your number. Once opened the item is shown to the group. The next person can either pick a new gift or lay claim to another members gift already opened. The person who hands of the gift off selects a new gift from the collection. and the process moves on until all gifts are claimed.

The only logistical aspect would be getting everyone together for a pot luck Sat night.

Sound like a reasonable idea inlue of a fishing contest?

Thats a mighty fine idea. Only kinda kiddish... ;):rolleyes::cool:
Dont bring roe, worms or shrimp tho... That would be ick.:naughty:
Or bananas.
We could have a casting contest for distance, accuracy and least weight. (no fly rods allowed!)

18406ej
18406ej
Nothing but good ideas come from the desk of Fishfinger. I think the Santa idea sounds fun.

I would be too embarassed to demonstrate my casting "skills" before an audience, FishSchooler.

I am really looking forward to the event.

F
FishSchooler
18406ej said:
Nothing but good ideas come from the desk of Fishfinger. I think the Santa idea sounds fun.

I would be too embarassed to demonstrate my casting "skills" before an audience, FishSchooler.

I am really looking forward to the event.

Your not alone... ;) You could do it while fishing... Like casting tiny spinners or castin way out there to the deep water.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Mega gathering

Mega gathering

FishFinger;
I think that is a great idea! I was going to suggest donations for OFF hats,but I like the Secret Fisherman idea,too. If you need help with anything, you know how to reach me.
Let's keep up the enthusiasm for this derby,guys. It would break too many hearts to let it die. How many are planning to go? I know a few have actually committed,but we need more!!!! Speak up and be counted! There will be other events during the year for us to get together. But I think this will be the mega gathering. Let's make it the envy of the fishing forums.
Barb

C
Commodore S
Raincatcher said:
FishFinger;
I think that is a great idea! I was going to suggest donations for OFF hats,but I like the Secret Fisherman idea,too. If you need help with anything, you know how to reach me.
Let's keep up the enthusiasm for this derby,guys. It would break too many hearts to let it die. How many are planning to go? I know a few have actually committed,but we need more!!!! Speak up and be counted! There will be other events during the year for us to get together. But I think this will be the mega gathering. Let's make it the envy of the fishing forums.
Barb

I'm with ya Barb, S.F. could be really fun. As far as all the money thing goes, it sounds like a lot of leagal issues to iron out. We could always swamp the KOKE PWR OR derby w/a bunch of OFF folks. I personally plan to attend 2 of them:dance:

F
fishhunter28
just thought I would put my 2 cents in since I have not been around in a while .......... first people need to realize this is suposed to be a fun event OFF is not the town of detroit there for we can't offer those huge prizes I am all for paying a fee maybe it could go to a bbq for one of the nights or even prizes say we all put a ten spot in and there is 10 of us thats 100 bucks right so say a bbq costs 30 for meat 15 for buns and condaments and another 30 on some brews for all of us so 30 +15+30= 75 take the other 25 and put it in a gift card to sportsmans or joes or big five then draw a name out of a hat!!!! no one has to be mad cause that monster fish got away and it cost them 25 bucks:mad: or if only they cought one more fish:( just keep it simple ... :dance: I think it will be a great time either way I look forward to finnaly fishing with all of the great people i have met on here see you all on the water